Being social overwhelming?

grapevine

I don't know if it's the history of social phobia or not, but I find that I can only really cope with being social with just one person at a time. I have issues with boundaries and assertiveness and feeling for the other person (compassion) together with motivation to help them, that I end up on streaks of saying yes when needing to say no and end up in depth of over compensating myself to people.

For so long I had avoided people like the plague literally. Being agoraphobic and severely socially phobic for all my adult life except for the last 2-3 years. Now Im just finding it so overwhelmingly hard to be in my own world anymore- because relationships seem to dig into my anxiety so much that I end up living so spun out and unable to keep track of my own responsibilities and can't seem to really relax even when I am home. I'm always tightening the muscles in my body subconsciously and always on some wild plan in my mind of helping others or trying to make their day - and avoiding my own.

I just wonder if anyone can relate to this?

I feel like I want to work on myself and like I cant do that when I am in relationships and social? Its like people just take too much out of me- well more that I give too much away of myself.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I feel like I want to work on myself and like I cant do that when I am in relationships and social? Its like people just take too much out of me- well more that I give too much away of myself.

I can definitely relate to that. I feel like I want to put everything in my life on hold and work on myself, but I can't and it feels like trying to fix a flat tire while still driving the car.