being made fun of

creep_x

this is i guess the worst part of sa, ppl sometimes laugh at me bcoz i have that "confused or scared look" & it just hurts so much.. it gets me depressed for days.. does any1 feel the same way?

Angie973

Yes, I totally understand this. The other day I was in a waiting room and this girl that was sitting across from me was like "You look really nervous." In my head I was just like "Yeah, no shit."

milo001

i'm being bullied when i'm still in school.maybe because they thought i'm an easy target and i'm always alone. :roll: i hate my school life.in college(2months) peoples did laugh at me because i'm blushing once.

bulldog21083

I get the whole "you look nervous" comment quite a bit. While I may be a little nervous (everyone gets nervous in certain situations), it certainly doesn't help that you just told me that. Then when they say that not only do I feel nervous, but now I know that they know I feel nervous.

milo001

talk about this i remembered when i'm still working one girl always said that when i came to work"look the nervous girl has come." that certainly didn't help.

tpdarlo

This happens to everybody now and then. The difference is that a "normal" person knows how to shake off the insult/criticism while the SA sufferer will look away, not knowing what to say and analyse it for hours. Obviously it's not easy to disregard it but this is what you need to learn to do. Keep a positive mindset, at that dark moment try to remind yourself of all the positive aspects of your personality or life.

_Brittany_

I know how you feel..my friends are always making fun of my awkwardness (=x I hate that word!), especially this one friend! she's always laughing AT me. It annoys and depresses me.

recluse

I think a lot of people see me looking angry, sometimes i'll take a photo of myself and i look angry and i think ''Oh my god do i really look like that?!''

lunarskye

I usually get the "why do you look so sad? question or "why do you look so angry/mean?" and i think to myself it's because people keep asking me these stupid questions all day. So i stopped hanging around "outsiders/family" and kept a neutral victoria beckham face.

edit

i just realized the guy above me wrote about VB too! lol i totally didn't read what he wrote before i wrote mine though. interesting. 8O

Carol

tpdarlo said:
This happens to everybody now and then. The difference is that a "normal" person knows how to shake off the insult/criticism while the SA sufferer will look away, not knowing what to say and analyse it for hours. Obviously it's not easy to disregard it but this is what you need to learn to do. Keep a positive mindset, at that dark moment try to remind yourself of all the positive aspects of your personality or life.

I agree!! The biggest problem with SA is not being able to get over it when things happen. There's no reason to analyze conversation for hours. The person who said "You look nervous" probably didn't think about it for more than a few minutes, probably didn't even consider it a criticism. But the person with SA will still be thinking about that comment the next day. If only we could all realize that we're just not that important, that people really don't spend that much time thinking about us, we'd be so much better off!

kyle

Banned
I had problems later in life because I was ridiculed for my SA before I was on meds proir to the age of 17. My worst fear was drawing attention to myself. I remember 3 or 4 people that made my life hell especially aroung ages 10-14. I actually confronted one at a party and challenged him to a fight when I was in my early 20's. Of couse by then I was 6'2/200, so he was scared shitless, and begged me to spare him. I forgave him. These people who pick on you for the belief that you are "waek" are cowards themself. At least most of them, as I found out. I bet that guy urinated himself at the party he was so scared of me. It was pathetic...

Gone

kyle said:
I remember 3 or 4 people that made my life hell especially aroung ages 10-14. I actually confronted one at a party and challenged him to a fight when I was in my early 20's. Of couse by then I was 6'2/200, so he was scared shitless, and begged me to spare him. I forgave him. These people who pick on you for the belief that you are "waek" are cowards themself. At least most of them, as I found out. I bet that guy urinated himself at the party he was so scared of me. It was pathetic...

Awesome, that put a smile on my face.

SocialButterSlip

recluse said:
I think a lot of people see me looking angry, sometimes i'll take a photo of myself and i look angry and i think ''Oh my god do i really look like that?!''

same here lol, but people usually dont mess with me i look crazy and angry when my anxiety kicks in LOL something that i have perfected since middle school lol

I had problems later in life because I was ridiculed for my SA before I was on meds proir to the age of 17. My worst fear was drawing attention to myself. I remember 3 or 4 people that made my life hell especially aroung ages 10-14. I actually confronted one at a party and challenged him to a fight when I was in my early 20's. Of couse by then I was 6'2/200, so he was scared shitless, and begged me to spare him. I forgave him. These people who pick on you for the belief that you are "waek" are cowards themself. At least most of them, as I found out. I bet that guy urinated himself at the party he was so scared of me. It was pathetic...

I agree 100%, in middle school i threw ketchup by mistake to a kid. He came right to me and punched I got up, he punched me again he was angry I was not. He was surprised that I looked calm when he punched twice, so i just gave him power hook he dropped dead on the floor lol

edgarapoo

I agree that "You look nervous" and "Cheer up!" comments are terrible. How is anyone supposed to reply to those?

BlueWeepingRose

Yeah I can relate to this too. Most people ask me if I'm upset or if everything is okay. Guess I always have that look on my face, but I've always been very shy ever since I was younger. Overtime I blew the comment off and told them upfront that it was annoying and for them to stop asking me or bringing it up.

At first I was upset and remained silent, but overtime I got tired of sitting there and letting myself be a target. So I completely understand.