Being bullied at work

A

anonandsad

I have been bullied at work for about 3 months now and it's getting worse. I am worried that this guy is going to turn violent soon, at the moment it's just verbal.

This guy is a level down from me in work and I think he wants to drive me out in order to get my job, which he will because we work for a small business.

Up to now I have managed to bear it without responding to it although I have spoken to my boss about it. At first the boss didn't believe me so I told him to look out for the subtle things this guy is doing to get to me. I am sure the boss believes this is happening now but he doesn't seem to be doing much about it. He did have a chat with this guy a couple of weeks ago and the next day the bully confronted me and said it was bull**** and all in my head.
I don't know what to do and I don't think my boss does either.
It seems like the guy thinks it's ok to carry on in this way as he hasn't been punished apart from a quick talking-to.

Now he is a lot more aggressive towards me and I fear he will turn violent, maybe not while in work but if we saw each other outside work.

I love my job don't want to leave but can't see any other option, I have to get away from him

I don't understand... Your boss cannot fire him? If I were a business owner or someone in power, I really don't want these type of people working for me. Firstly, he's not likely to be someone hardworking. Secondly, he affects the performance of his peers negatively and lastly, he will likely try the same tactics with me once he has risen to the position directly below me.

If you ever really decide to leave, just highlight these points subtly and tell him that you're leaving due to this person and only this person. Who knows, perhaps he can come to his senses and fire this person as he should have done a long time ago.

Luke1993

Do not let him win! Stay in your job.....wait till he becomes even more agressive, thenhe'll get fired!

HH

I think you should keep a record of everything (well, as much as you can remember) he says to you that causes offense and other unpleasant actions this guy does towards you-a sort of diary. This could come in useful if anything happens later on and he tries to turn the blame on you.
It also seems like your boss doesn't want to get the issue resolved, he will probably only do something if it happens right in front of him.

Although your boss is also in a difficult situation because if he fires this person without a very good reason he could get dragged through the courts. Alot of the employment rules are in favour of the person being employed. Its probably best to keep a record of what you've said to your boss and his answers.

My advice would be to keep a good distance and don't do or act in any way that would give him the upper hand

lac operon

Just Ignore him man, If he turn violent just call the police and file a report on his bully ass. Place a hidden camera in your work place, and record all these, post it youtube; so a lot people will see it, and when they actually see this SOB in real life, they probably give him a hard time too.

hidingfromtheworld

If you you really feel afraid you should document his harrassment and send a certified letter to your boss stating the reasons that you feel threatened. Or simply state thatyou are being harrassed. The letter must be sent certified and you must request a return slip mailed to you from post office after the letter is signed for. You need this documentation available in case this nut job freaks out.

lithium

Beat the shit out of him. Not a realistic/rational solution, but nonetheless interesting to contemplate.

206Raider

you got to think of hurtful but subtle things to say back to him without getting in trouble yourself and if he reacts negatively and like hits you/ throw somethign at you or off your desk or whatever you win he's fired.....like you said he works under you....ask him if he's so mad because he's not smart enough t be in your position. just think of things to say to him that will get underneath his skin and just bare it becuase you will win.