Been going through exposure therapy, loosing hope

misterF

I've been going through exposure therapy following the advice of my therapist for the last two months, by going to a small language class. The class is very small so everyone knows each other and the first goal was to try and talk with my classmates during the breaks instead of avoiding them by reading a book or faking being busy with my phone. After two month I find that the fear has almost totally disappeared and I've gone out with my classmates on two occasion already to have drinks, so I can say that the therapy has been relatively successful.
The problem though is that I have nothing at all to say most of the time and I just stand there listening to what the group is saying like an idiot. It's not that I'm afraid that what I'm going to say is stupid, but nothing comes to my mind and it's really driving me crazy. Then the times when I do talk it's so forced and unnatural that I can't wait for the breaks to end so I don't have to force myself to talk anymore. Having done this for 2 months now I'm really loosing hope that one day I'll be able to converse normally with people that aren't my friends or my family, I really can't see it at the moment and while my therapist sees progress, I can only see my limitations persisting and not going away.
Anybody else feeling hopeless having tried to fight social anxiety so hard?

AllieG

Yes! I am going through the same thing, except i am first starting therapy. When we have seminars in my class or some social thing, i am speechless for words and dont know what to say what so ever.When i'm around new people, i'm just around looking at them... and i feel slow.

RND_CHR

I know how you guys feel. I don't have a problem with talking to someone new but I feel like after the superficial exchanges, i dont have much to say. I guess lisetning to what other people say and ask you gives you some a stock of things to say and ask. And you dont have to say anything creative. Just comment on whatever is going on around you. But yeah, i'm not guru. I still have this problem aswell

TooShyShy

Can you explain Exposure Thearapy pleeeez :) i have an idea of what it is but i'd like to read more....

Felicidad

I've been going through exposure therapy following the advice of my therapist for the last two months, by going to a small language class. The class is very small so everyone knows each other and the first goal was to try and talk with my classmates during the breaks instead of avoiding them by reading a book or faking being busy with my phone. After two month I find that the fear has almost totally disappeared and I've gone out with my classmates on two occasion already to have drinks, so I can say that the therapy has been relatively successful.
The problem though is that I have nothing at all to say most of the time and I just stand there listening to what the group is saying like an idiot. It's not that I'm afraid that what I'm going to say is stupid, but nothing comes to my mind and it's really driving me crazy. Then the times when I do talk it's so forced and unnatural that I can't wait for the breaks to end so I don't have to force myself to talk anymore. Having done this for 2 months now I'm really loosing hope that one day I'll be able to converse normally with people that aren't my friends or my family, I really can't see it at the moment and while my therapist sees progress, I can only see my limitations persisting and not going away.
Anybody else feeling hopeless having tried to fight social anxiety so hard?

Perhaps, you should begun by giving small steps, I mean exposuring to things with a lower anxiety and then, continuing increasing your goals.(higher level)
A good idea may also be, giving importance to succeeds.