Becoming your parents?

001Common-Ostrich-BINNS-IMG_49.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes I do. I think it is only natural to pick up some of the characteristics of your parents. I wouldn't worry about it too much. At the end of the day you are still a completely different person than them. If you start taking an interest in Nia, then you should worry. lol

Nia oh Goddd, let's hope it doesn't get to that ;). everyone says I'm exactly like my dad, from the way that I walk, my posture, mannerisms, nervous ticks, sense of humor, same kind of disposition, and depressive tendencies and mood swings. and sometimes I even find myself making similar life choices. and the thing is, its not like I'm just being influenced on a day to day bases. I hardly ever even see him or known him. If anything I should be more like my mom. anyway, he's not a happy person which is why I feel concerned. its like its inevitable that I'm going to lead the same life as him :/

Nothing is set in stone. Just because your dad has led an unhappy life doesn't mean you will follow in his footsteps. I am sure there are a lot of things about you that are different from your dad. People say I am a lot like my dad too. Which kinda pisses me off because he is a guy and I am a girl. I don't want to look or be like a guy!!!!

When we were younger we will have learned things from the people around us and for most that will be the mum and dad. They were the ones who taught us so much on both a conscious and unconscious level, so i think it's natural that we have picked up traits of our parents.

I think it's important to remember that some of the things are learned behaviours and therefore can be unlearned. Self awareness, i think, is the first step in changing such things as when we can be aware of something we'r doing that we don't like, we can then choose whether we do it again in the future or not.

There's also something in doing the exact opposite to our parents. For example if parents smoke the child could start smoking when they are older, or the child could make the decision not to be like their parents and consciously decide not to smoke. I know that's a phsyical example, but it could be true of other things too.

I guess it also leads on to a question of whether personality is biological or not, i.e. nature or nurture. I personally believe it's a bit of both.. but i do believe that largely we do have the power to change our thinking/behaviours. It can take a really long time and a lot of hard work.. afterall we've spent many years learning such things. It's not going to be an easy task to suddenly change. But i do believe it's possible :)

Jo1991

I know how it feels, sometimes i act just like my dad. He only works and comes back home and stays in his room and not talks to ANYONE.

IceLad

My one parent, my mum, has managed very successfully to pass on all her anxiety/ worry tendencies onto me.

Yukinari

My Dad is very mean. I have everything against not wanting to be like him. I almost feel like promising myself to not be like him, but I don't know if I can keep it. I just want to be nice and make sure that I don't hurt anyone the way he did to me.