"Be Yourself"

4seasons

I hear this so much. Like if you want a girl to like you you "be yourself", when in any social situation you "be yourself". I never understood what that even meant. How can you not be yourself? Can anyone explain this to me in more detail? Maybe i just need need to "be myself" sometimes and i don't realize it hahaha.

2Crowded

I guess it would mean don't try to hard to impress...or pretend to be something you are not for someone....just be genuine...if someone is going to like you...you would want them to like the real you & not the fake you, it would be hard to portray the fake you for very long.. so just relax or whatever & if they are going to like you, then fine...if they don't fine, atleast you won't have to keep acting like you are something that you are not for them..

ya know? :)

4seasons

Yeah I understand that much. I guess the part I don't understand is how am I supposed to be myself around someone without turning them off? If I was myself around anyone they would think I'm a dick because i don't speak, I sit there being nervous about being so quite. know what I'm saying? My SA is who I am. So how am I supposed to be myself and conquer my problem/fear at the same time?

Or maybe my SA is preventing me from being who I really am? Oh my god, Ii think i need to go to a phsyc.

2Crowded

I think some girls like quiet dudes anyway....& if the one you are interested in don't....forget about her, someone will like you some day & they will like you for the person you are inside, just keep your head up....& besides with time I think all of us here can get better as far as our SA issues go....I know I am alot better now then I was just 5 years ago. A real good friend will be able to see past your exterior & or your SA isues anyway....that one my friend will be a keeper.

Or maybe my SA is preventing me from being who I really am?

"The real you is in there waiting to break out"

IWouldPreferNotTo

My whole problem is "being myself". "being myself" is why I've never in a relationship. I guess what they mean is don't put up a front, but in our situation, we definitely have to change ourselves a bit if we want our lives to improve. "Being ourselves" is not the answer. I need to learn to be more talkative. I need to come up with more things in my life to talk about.

Infected_Malignity

to me, shyness isn't just a normal human trait you're born with. it's a sort of emotional repression that can happen in anybody, no matter who you are, under the right circumstances. usually there's some choice involved.

i can honestly say that if i'm feeling uncomfortable around somebody, i find it ridiculously hard to open up to them at all... which makes me a totally different person in different company. i feel almost further away from myself in a physical sense as well... like an extreme sense of discomfort living in my own skin. to me, that's the definition of the inability to be yourself.

Dave_McFadden

Yeah, I like how these people tell you to "be yourself" like they're telling you something deep and profound. When someone says that to me, i'm always like, "be myself? wow, thanks. I was trying to be richard simmons. No wonder my legs are cold!" People don't always appreciate that response.

Seriously, if I wanted to be myself, I could just be terrified of saying something stupid in front of people, or I could just stay home and avoid people. Obviously, that's not gonna work...

Quetzalcoatl

Dave_McFadden said:
Yeah, I like how these people tell you to "be yourself" like they're telling you something deep and profound. When someone says that to me, i'm always like, "be myself? wow, thanks. I was trying to be richard simmons. No wonder my legs are cold!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Thats fucking awesome. Hearing "Be yourself" for me is like being told I'm a moron beyond all morons. Like I don't know how to be myself. I'd say that if a chick isn't into you then don't worry about her, there will be someone who will like you who would be more worth your time.

jamez

Well the thing is you need to make yourself attractable and then be yourself. Obviously if your not in the 1st place, being yourself doesn't really help.