back to school?

jaypee06

im having thoughts about going back to school and studying another degree since i cant land a job with my current degree and im not doing anything productive at home and its been >2 years since i graduated :/

im scared ill lose interest in it after a few semesters... or maybe ill have just as hard of a time finding work as i am now

but then im thinking maybe going to uni will kind of push me to redevelop my social skills and build my character...

part of me yearns to go overseas to do it despite it being against the will of my father

and another part of me feels like im getting old and i should have a frickin job by now, earning a decent salary... and if i go to uni again it'll be another 2 or 3 years and by that time all the people i hung out with in school will probably have a house and a nice car and a family and all ill have is twice as much of a HECS debt [if i choose to study in australia]

Ignace

Don't let SA steal your job. I would keep trying to find a job since you already have a degree. If you really can't get a job, you could go to school again, which raises your chances for work. But I would never do that. It's like you say, if you're gonna study, you lose years. Keep sollicitating, you'll get a job !:)

lyricalliaisons

I just started school for the very first time last year, when I was nearly 27. Since you're 22, there's no reason at all for you to feel too old to go back to school. I know at my school, there are people in their 40's & 50's who are students, & even one man who is a student at around 94 & who works in the schools library when not attending classes lol. Things might be different there in Australia, but people are going back to school all the time now, & at your young age, you shouldn't feel bad about it. If it's something you want to do, then do it. But if you really don't want to, you could always just try getting jobs with your degree a while longer to see if you get anything better.

jaypee06

thanks for the welcome

it seems like not being to find a job has contributed to my loss of interest in my first degree and lack of motivation to consistently keep looking for work...

i really do want to study again, but i think i'd also be doing it just so that i don't have to deal with the stress of looking for work

as for postgrad, yea im considering that too

garry29

thanks for the welcome

it seems like not being to find a job has contributed to my loss of interest in my first degree and lack of motivation to consistently keep looking for work...

i really do want to study again, but i think i'd also be doing it just so that i don't have to deal with the stress of looking for work

as for postgrad, yea im considering that too

I think you could improve your chances for finding work a fair bit by getting a postgrad qualification. Most postgrad courses I think don't require a specific degree as a pre requisite so you could choose something more vocational maybe like business or marketing. I don't think there's a lot of value in doing another degree if all you want to do is get a good job and you're able to get on a masters course.

not2sure

I'm now back at uni again (after working many years) and I'm alot older than you! I'm finding it difficult though since I have noone to talk to. Mind you, I had noone to talk the first time I went to uni years ago...so not much has changed.

I would highly recommend going overseas - I worked overseas and it helped me build my confidence even if only a little bit! I was out of my comfort zone...

What are you doing to spend your time now?

jaypee06

actually i just returned from a 7 month stay overseas... i studied my first module for my CPA while i was abroad cos i didnt want to feel like i was wasting my time just travelling... i tried looking for work, even jobs that were considered "survival jobs" but they didn't consider my application on the grounds that i was over-qualified... shame cos it wouldve allowed me to pick up the language a lot quicker... i could've gotten a call-centre job but i was uncomfortable with whether or not it was fair that i get a job over a local because english is my mother tongue and the other person probably put in some hard yards to study english - i ended up turning down offers on 2 occassions which i kind of regret

nowdays i just stay at home waiting for jobs to call back... any job really... my employer at my old food and bev job was apparently in the process of hiring me back... that was about 3 months ago... i even submitted an application [they were recruiting at the time] to the staffing agency that supplied extra food and bev staff to my old employer during big events but i never heard back :/ a bit of a blow to my confidence

how did you get and what was your position overseas? did you secure it before you went abroad?

not2sure

I'm a CPA myself. I was working for a company here and got a job with them when I got overseas.

I think you should stick with the CPA - keep doing that and you'll definitely get a break.

Have you worked in a finance job? Have you thought of relocating within Australia (from Brisbane)? There might be more opportunities down in Sydney and Melbourne.

jaypee06

You wanted to be a CPA or you are one? :D I heard like only 25% pass the exam :O I wanted to be an accountant, but my math sucks even though in reality accountants don't use that much math.
im in the process of becoming one... lol one of my lecturers told us that accountants have the highest suicide rate :S

I'm a CPA myself. I was working for a company here and got a job with them when I got overseas.

I think you should stick with the CPA - keep doing that and you'll definitely get a break.

Have you worked in a finance job? Have you thought of relocating within Australia (from Brisbane)? There might be more opportunities down in Sydney and Melbourne.
actually ive just limited my job search to the gold coast... its too intimidating thinking of relocating to a large and unfamiliar city - i don't even know my way around brissie... i have applied in brissie a few times and now that i think about it nearly ALL my interviews have been for brisbane based positions

do you think i should keep studying the modules and pay the fees myself while im unemployed? i really want to find work with an employer who can provide assistance with CPA fees...

and no i haven't had any experience... closest would be balancing a cash register -_-;;

not2sure

Don't you need to be mentored by a CPA while you're doing the CPA program?

Have you registered with a recruitment company or are you applying directly?

jaypee06

Don't you need to be mentored by a CPA while you're doing the CPA program?
QUOTE]

that would explain my near-fail in my first module...

thats what i always thought too then some CPA representative at a careers fair told me i could enrol and begin studying even without having found work...

ive been applying directly, only recently i've been looking into recruitment companies... i spoke to one who was really optimistic and said her clients prefer candidates who are left of field and who have done a bit of travelling, but that there arent a lot of jobs on offer at this time of year