Awareness/Perspective?

ScaredToBreathe

I was just thinking lately about how normally-functioning people aren't all aware of what's really going on around them and can't see things from different perspectives, especially if they don't believe in those views. Does anyone have any insight into this?

I find it hard to understand how someone people can't understand, or simply refuse to accept, certain perspectives, logical reasoning, or what is rational and irrational. Because I find this extremely easy to do. I know that when I think or act irrationally, I am indeed being irrational but I accept that that's the way I feel/behave, even though I know I'm doing something wrong. Like if I get angry at someone over something stupid, I realize that it really shouldn't matter and begin to think about how that person felt when I became angry. And later I can apologize and admit I was wrong for whatever I said or did because I acted in the moment solely on my emotions, rather than trying to justify my actions and believe I was in the right and they were not.

Though I find most people have trouble with logic. They are set in the way they think and refuse to listen to anyone else because they think they are always right. Like people who would rather start an argument and hold a grudge against someone instead of working out a way to end the conflict, even if the other person tried to resolve the problem and work things out maturely. Why would they choose ignorance over rationalization?

If someone is yelling at and being rude to another person, why can't they see that their actions are unacceptable? They will blame it all on the person they're targeting without realizing that their behaviour is inappropriate.

I don't believe in religion, but I can understand how many people do because they are raised from a young age to conform to certain beliefs, or they need a reason for the unexplainable things in the universe, or just need the comfort or hope that comes along with it. I can see it from their perspective and why they feel it's logical. But some people cannot see it any other way than how they see it(whether they do or don't believe in a religion): their beliefs are 100% certain, no exceptions, everyone should believe what they believe. (Just an example to show opposite perspectives on something that affects everyone, it's not just religion but other things people can only see one way and not think outside of their perspective).

How do so many people not realize when they're being immoral or irrational? Why do they base things off of their emotions rather than logic?

Last edited:

zraktor

Banned
I get what you're trying to say. I think that whatever I say to people, they won't change. Unless they think it's their idea to change. The same could be said to me. Now I just don't see the reasons to change people. It's just more to beneficial to change myself.

jchan

I can sympathize with you, ScaredToBreath. I guess one possible answer to your question is that people who suffer from SA tend to be more introspective and thus have a higher level of awareness.

MikeyC

ScaredToBreathe, you said you have been angry in the past and acted on impulse, and I think that others are the same, too, which is what you're seeing.

However, I do believe that some people have personalities that allow them to believe that their opinions are correct. Sometimes it's hard for people to see the opinions or viewpoints of others when theirs are so inborn. It happens to everyone, including us.

My mum knows a man in his forties (at least) who's illiterate. Can't read, can't write, but can converse properly. I find it very difficult to wrap my head around how someone is incapable of reading and writing because all I've ever known is literacy. I know it's an off-beat example, but it shows that sometimes my viewpoint makes it hard to imagine the opposite in someone else.

I believe everyone is guilty of this to some extent.

Diend

you must be referring to the type of people who tell you snap out of it...they should stop if they realized that telling you once isn't gonna do it. some people just cannot imagine life with social anxiety and are viewing you from an outside perspective. i bet they don't even know how the nervous system works.