Avoiding Doctors?

Polly_Princess

Up until last month, I was the kind of person who was at the doctors every 6-8 weeks. I needed to get every last little symptoms checked out. Finally, I had a pretty bad experience during visit, and just couldn't deal with doctors any more. I came to the realisation that I had forked out hundreds and hundreds on visits to the doctor over the years, many of which had given me no real benefit.

It's only been one month since my last visit, but I'm hoping to get to at least one year without going back. Maybe even 5-10 years.

Has anyone else here just given up on the medical system?

cricket

i haven't had a bad experience and i'm not really afraid of what will be physically done to me, but i avoid the dr. as well.

i have been to the dr. three times this year to get refills on anxiety medication, and other than that i don't go to the dr. i can't remember the last time i went. and i'm more afraid of calling to set up appointments and talking to secretaries than i am actually seeing the dr. :rolleyes:

and i agree with what you mentioned about spending lots of money and not getting any real help. it seems like whenever i go, they diagnose me by asking me what i think is wrong. i don't know what is wrong, if i did then why would i be in your office, dr. ;)

No doctor told me anything that I didn't already know. And the only solution was to give me pills. I decided it was all a waste of time and money and now don't bother. Ive only been to 3 different doctors. I did try some medications over a years period and all I felt were side effects.

The problem with doctors is they don't listen and don't care, they just want to give you medications and send you on your way, its all about money. They really don't give a **** about your circumstances and don't bother to really help you out by offering other options/resources.

You will soon find out that you must be persistent and bug doctors and try to gather any and all resources available. You will realize that its gonna be your job to find what works for you. Doctors are just too lazy, incompetent, and/or just don't give a ****. This has been my experience.

SickCycleCarousel

I haven't seen a doctor since I was like 8 or 9. I don't feel the need to rush to the hospital for every little scrape/sneeze/cough/etc. I think it's silly. And doctors only want to push pills and take as much money from you as they can. Why pay X amount of dollars just to be told to take some vitamin C?

overcome.

I don't really avoid the doctors. I actually appreciate going because I understand it's a chance for me to get some help, whether it's that I'm ill, or that it's to do with something long term like anxiety. I've been there a lot over the past year, and at the moment I probably go every month or so, to check up on medication/s. I remember having a panic attack in the waiting room though, it was really busy and I stayed there for an hour and a half (I didn't have an appointment, had to wait). That's the only real negative experience that I've had. Overall, no, I don't avoid the doctors. I'd be stupid to in actual fact, because it's one of the few links to get proper help you need.