Avoiding all the events.

Dreamscape

im an exchange student in foreign country and for past 3 months i've been avoiding most of the social activities and party invites due to my avoidant personality disorder, i feel so low and have no courage to walk up to the community :( i feel like i have lost the train to get in bond with all the people came as same time like me. therefore don't even want to attend rest of the activities. i got this feeling that they start to hate me, even though i just want to communicate with them i don't know the ways, so i just stayed "mute" whole time. Seeing people living their life with joy and without struggle is even more devastating for me. it made me look weak to them. I don't actually have friend that stayed beside me all the time since i came here, i tend to lose touch easily and this brings me low-self esteem. I'm in the edge of life, i'm not sure how long i can live with this Avpd.:sad:

Last edited:

jaim38

Yeah, cultural differences can make it hard to communicate. Try to find students who are from your native country. Maybe you can start by hanging out with them first. Then once you have the courage and confidence, you can attend local gatherings.

Dreamscape

The problem is that i don't have courage to communicate for anyone my countrymen or not at the moment. I avoid getting in communication like plague, i thought i would be ok after being in more free country but my anxiety got even worse... I always feel like crying, and emotional unstable, too sensitive about everything. incompetent and lacky in social events. It's the first time living alone for me, so i can clearly see myself and that I got serious illness about AvPD.:(

Predacon

I'm impressed that you would want be a foreign exchange student, that takes a lot of courage just by itself.

soandi

I am in same situation. At the moment I am exchange student in South Korea. I didn't even figured out I have social anxiety disorder until I was here. I have always been shy, but I think using foreing language make thinks even worse. After 3 months I am not still comfortable speaking in english, expecially with native english speakers.

Last edited: