Attitude is Everything

mattbarneswillkillu

I just had a deep conversation with my sister about who I was, who I am, and who I am becoming and that person was not so good.
She says that I am easily irritable, I avoided her, and that she didn't know me anymore. Being a peer and one of my best friends she broke into tears.
I explained to her that who I appeared to be wasn't really me, I just feel the need to put up walls so that everyday people won't casually come up to me, start to chat, and see ounces of sweat pour out of my body for apparently no reason.
I've gotten so used to doing that, that I started to shut out my own family!
So I used that opportunity to vent (and boy did I vent), and she completely understood. She said that I was too good to stay hidden and to avoid people, and that nobody wants/deserves to be around who I was i claimed my HH made me to be. HH can make you avoid people, irritable, crabby, and every other negative adjective you could imagine but thats only if YOU let it. I didn't really notice until it was brought to my attention.
Your attitude won't make you sweat any more or less, but you can alter it positively so people can connect with you. Also she said that by allowing people to understand what an average day is like will allow people to be more sensitive and accepting, but few people can be sympathetic to someone who sweats hides, and doesn't talk to anyone.

A happy smiling sweater is a lot better than an angry, scowling, depressed sweater. I'm not to the point where I can smile during an episode and I probably won't get there, but I'll strive to be more open. I'm sure we all know this, and yes, it's much easier to say.
So at last, look in the mirror and see how much HH alters your routine, relationships, attitude, and demeanor. It doesn't have to be this way! i don't mean 2 sound preachy but this talk helped me soooo much i just thought i'd share.

margiehope

I had a quick visual of a smiling happy (homonym) sweater. Made me laugh. The scowly one, not so much.

hyp-hi

You are right. Attitude does make a big difference. That's great that you were able to open up to your sister about it. My sister actually found out about my condition by accident when she read something I wrote about it. She wanted to know all the details about it but I was so uncomfortable that she found out, I didn't want to talk about it. One day I might tell her how it really effects me.

Hmm,attitude is everything...or neverything!

Seriously though,if the "attitude" in question isn't an innate part of us from inside ourselves but a "behaviour" "learned" through practicing "self help" techniques,then your balloon might pop when the **** hits the fan.Or some other pertinent or actually factual saying.
Trust me.

ukchick

Reading this has brought a tear to my eye-you are so right in all you say.I'm currently trying to get this positivity across to my daughter who also suffers.She's a different child at home with me,to the one in school-such a shame for her coming home angry and frustrated at leaving wet patches all over her school work and being unable to touch her friends hands.This horrible thing does make you a different person- you are really inspiring being more positive x