Assassins Creed

Bronson99

I'm currently playing Assassins Creed 1. The first game in the series, on PC.

I have mixed thoughts on it, though. The good:
I find the presentation to be mostly stellar: it really *does* say "next gen" when you have so many NPCs on the screen at once, rendered so fluidly. I think the game really shows off that way, but I don't mind it. The game world is generally stunning, full of nice vistas and gorgeous medieval architecture, that you can climb at will. The parkour is good enough to be interesting, and the fight scenes can at times be rewarding. The plot is interesting as well. The music is suspenseful, and helps sustain an atmospheric tone.

Otherwise:
At times this does not feel like a game, but more of a tech demo. It's a shame because there's so much polish, so much ambition, but the gameplay suffers. Stealth? What stealth? This game doesn't come close to "Thief" or even the "Hitman" series. Despite the parkour/climbing, the environment doesn't offer anything interesting to do, unless you want to be chased constantly by the guards (so darn repetitive.) I don't count "flag collecting," sorry, or anything else that has no tangible reward. The tasks offered are generally repetitive, and I found myself doing the least possible. While the plot is cool, the bulk of it is convoluted and poorly explained; as well, the voice dialogue is drowned out and difficult to hear especially with the Middle Eastern accents... subtitles would fix this, but they didn't bother. So, I don't know what's going on, and that never helps.

The verdict so far is that I like the game, but not as much as I was hoping to. It's something of a letdown, in a sense. I've found about half the time I've been playing, I'm somewhat bored...

Those of you who played the first game (and especially the sequels), do you follow my thinking on this? I've heard the second game makes significant improvements over the first.. is this true?

thanx

Last edited by a moderator:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Personally I've fond the controls format generally clunky. I mean the whole style they have used. Assigning keys doesn't make any difference, it's the general design. A bit like TESO actually.
I do love the feel/aura of the game though. I bought the whole series and tend to play it only when I get bored.

Bronson99

Personally I've fond the controls format generally clunky. I mean the whole style they have used. Assigning keys doesn't make any difference, it's the general design. A bit like TESO actually.
I do love the feel/aura of the game though. I bought the whole series and tend to play it only when I get bored.

thanks for replying. Did you find that the second game is a lot better than the first, though?

Metal_isthe_Answer

I remember liking it ok but having no incentive to play it again after I beat it. That's a big thing for me as I replay games constantly for example, I've probably played each Mass Effect a dozen times, the Arkham games even more.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Yes the 2nd was more enjoyable for me. Although I have to confess I usually only play it when I get bored, and that's not too often.

drganon

I never played the first one, but from what I gather most people preferred the sequel. I've played and beaten 2 and Brotherhood. I skipped over Revelations, and got somewhat far but didn't beat 3. I played Black Flag for about an hour before deciding I was sick of the series. Overall, my favorite was the second one by far.