Asking out a retailworker

Icepep

Hi
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but didn't find a forum that seemed to fit more. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, so I was buying some clothes at this store, and I really liked the girl working there. Is it socailly acceptable to ask retail workers out? Seeing as they smile and are nice to you because it is their job. It would really suck if she wasn't at all interested though.

Do anyone have any good date idea? I was thinking something really casual, like lunch or coffee (even when I don't like coffee :eek: ).

I will probably never go through with it, but I guess it is good to have some goals, right? ::p:

Section_31

talk to her again. Engage in some light casual conversation, DONT ask her out right off the bat. See how she reacts when you sort of talk about non-retail related things, like little points of your life maybe. If SHE brings somthing up from hers id say thats a good indicator shes at least interested in conversing past her job role. But tread carefully bc she could also get in trouble if she gets caught. personally those rules mean nothing to me, but some ppl feel its a huge thing.

I say definately feel out the waters before you put this out there.

Icepep

Thanks for the answer, where only two working there last time I was there (I was the only customer too) so don't think she will be in trouble for talking.

Could I just go in and have a casual conversation, or would that be all weird? What should I start with?

Section_31

go in to genuienly buy somthing. If you go in just to talk to her she may or may not be a little wierded out. If you start with a valid reason for being there, she'll relax and will probably be open to more engaging conversation.

At some point do somthing small to nudge the conversation to a slightly, but still safe, more personal level, whether its asking her how long shes worked there, somthing like that. But go with the situation and do what feels right. If she keeps things on a professional level then id say thats a stop sign right there.

Pay attention to her body language. Does she appear relaxed?. Tense?. Are her arms crossed? or busy like working on items or somthing?. Keep in mind this IS her work enviroment, so the normal rules of female body language dont necesarily apply here, like you or not she HAS to remain professional. But some small signs may still show. See if she maintains eye contact with you, or does she only do so for a few seconds then look away and go back to her job talk?.

ANOTHER thing you COULD do, though this entails more work, is after an engagement like this, go back another time later, same valid reason, but talk to the other person. Be polite if the one you like addresses you or nods to you. But keep your attention mostly on the other person. See how your girl reacts. Do you catch her looking at you?. Or is she busying herself and not paying attention?. Thats another sign. Woman like to be looked at by guys (assuming they like you, otherwise its creepy), and if her co-worker has your attention she may subconsciously feel mildly jealous.

Def take this slow. If somthing gets misinterpreted it could blow up in your face bad. Or it could go really well.

Just play your cards right, dont get excited, take things slow. And keep us posted!!!

coyote

find out if she's even interested first, before you go to all the trouble to plan out the whole date

keep it simple...

you: "hey, would you like to get together some time? could i call you?"

her: "ok, yeah, sure"

you: "great. what's your phone number?"

her: "867-5309"

you: "cool, thanks. i'll let you get back to work, thanks! i'll call you later, ok?"

her: "okay :]"

work out the details later when she's not on the spot and you both can relax and talk about on the phone with all the time in the world

Last edited: