Asking for favors

slimjim119

I know this is trivial compared to alot of other problems associated with SA. But due to my low self-esteem at times, I have a hard time asking friends or family members for a favor or help of any kind. Even though I have done plenty of favors for them. I get anxiety symptoms as I would with strangers.

It's not that I think they wouldn't help. I don't like causing people inconvenience. I guess I feel I'm not worth the time.

coriander1992

I know what you mean, I don't like to ask for favours either.
Kinda feels like i'm not deserving of them or something.

Carol

I remember learning in psychology class that if you want somebody to like you, you should ask them to do you a favor. Because then the person will subconsciously think, "I must like this person because I'm doing them this favor." (Of course that doesn't work if you overdo it and ask for too many favors.)

bulldog21083

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't have a problem asking my family my real good friends for a favor. But I definitly have a tough time asking people at work for a favor or help with something. Other than being shy that's probably my biggest weakness: asking for help.

striker

Over the years I have learned that taking favors from people come at a cost.
If its your close family, then its not a big deal.

The way I would go about doing it, is to drop it in passing conversation. About how you are having a tough time getting something done & have no idea how to get it done. If they mean well.. they'll offer to help you, and they'll feel good about it too.

There are other ways but this is the simplest one.

PhantomPod

I just started a new job, so I have been having to ask my coworkers for help fairly often. They've always been ridiculously nice and all like, "If you have any questions, just ask!" and whenever I do ask them a question that come right over to help. Yet I'm still not able to feel 100% comfortable just asking them for help. Like I will sit there forever trying to figure it out myself, then I will sit there forever trying to figure out how to word my question when I finally ask them, etc. It really is such a draining process.

As for asking my family for favors, I don't have too much trouble. Although sometimes I will feel a bit anxious about asking my brother to do something for me, because he will always just be like, "yeah, okay" and then he doesn't do it, making me have to ask him again. Which is annoying because whenever he needs anything I do it pretty much right away.