Are Panic Attacks Caused By Expecting To Get A Panic Attack?

Claudius

When I go out to places where I've had panic attacks in the past, I generally feel stressed and really anxious before I leave because and know and expect I'm just going to be in a panic attack and feel terrible when I get there and then sure enough I am.
But before I had the first panic attack I never felt stressed out about going to those places.
So I think panic attacks are caused by the fear and anticipation of the panic attacks themselves if that makes sense.
But how can you ever break that cycle, if you can't ever go somewhere without having a panic attack?

AimeeSP

I feel the same way too! This happens to me alot. If i have a panic attack outside asda and the security guard for example saw it happen, and i need to go back there again, so much anxiety builds up because i fear the same person will be there and think "oh look it's the freak again." So i tend to avoid places where i've had a panic attack in public lol.

LadyWench

It happens to me so much. If I'm anticipating a panic attack, and getting worried about it, I will definitely have one. I wish I knew how to stop that vicious cycle.

Coldfire

Friendly Reminder

Just always remember. Stress is one factor linked to anxiety disorder. So don't get yourself too stressed on thinking stuff that won't do you any good.

Coldfire

Actually, Yes, it does. Panic Disorders are diagnosed when recurrent and unexpected panic attacks occur with or without apparent stimulus followed by at least 1 to 6 months of persistent worrying and fear over the next attack. Well, as it is defined in the book.

In your case, your persistent worry can be a factor for the occurrence of the next attack. So try to think not for the next attack. Focus more on how to control it. In other words, prepare yourself to combat the next attack instead of just watching it defeat you.

hypnogood

yes, after we experience a panic attack for the first time, the experience can be so impacting that it leaves a strong imprint on the persons psyche. This mental imprint generates a cycle or loop of anxiety whereby the person develops an unhealthy fear of having another panic attack. People can spend anywhere from months to years caught in this repetitive cycle of anxiety.

hypnogood

So the key to stopping having these attacks is to stop fearing them and living in constant expectation of another outburst. This all seems very simple, ya, but it’s easier said than done..:):)

Katie_Marks

I completely agree. This fear should be wiped away. No medicines. Relax your mind. All the time keeping your mind off the subject that is creating this anxiety in you. You know how to do that? When the subject matter comes up again, shake your head twice as if saying NO to the thought, and the thought causing you anxiety will just vanish. That works for me.

If you can try to stay calm, slow your heart rate down, think positive thoughts, it should start to subside. I always found it to be mind over matter. I always found that an anxiety attack hit me about 24 hours after I got really upset about something. Once I made the connection to what set it off, and trained myself to stay calm, I never needed medication.

Such psychology issues, like considering the panic attack as your friend might be helpful. I found a good story recently, it really helps.

Counteracting Panic Attack By Using Reverse Psychology