Approaching random people on the street

FriendlyShadow

Well, last Halloween when my parents were driving over to my sister's house, I noticed two boys walking down over the hill. I only saw the back of their heads. One kid had ginger hair, I think he wore a red coat or something, and the other kid walking beside him was black. The ginger boy turned his head because I think he noticed my parents were pulling into her driveway. Anyways, not so sure if he caught me looking at him but I quickly turned my head away. He looked kind of like my little nephew(same ginger hair, pale skin) and I don't mean to sound like I'm attracted to my nephew, but I think I've come to realize so far that I've been drawn to people who resemble him, but older. I felt like it could've been my chance to actually meet someone who appeared to be my age and get to know him, but only problem is, how would I go about talking to a random person on a street. Especially if it's like Halloween, what could I have said to this boy without putting myself in an awkward position.

I know my parents without a doubt would say it's not a good idea. I think they may be protecting me from getting hurt or maybe they believe in the "No talking to strangers on the street" rule. But these were kids though, not adults. I'm not even sure though if they were those kids that didn't want to be bothered or if I sound like some kind of idiot not knowing what to say to the ginger boy. Are asking questions a good conversation starter? Like "Hey, do you guys know what time it is?" or "I like your costumes." I don't know, I'm just worried they may find it strange all of a sudden someone they haven't seem/met/known before is talking to them out of the blue. What are some ways I could start conversations with a person who I've never met before? Has anyone else ever felt like this as well?

Last edited:

slimjim119

In this case something Halloween related would of been a good conversation starter. For example, I like your costume or what is your favorite candy? You try and find something in common with the person at that moment.

I will talk to strangers sometimes if they seem receptive and depends on location also. I get tired of being nervous about it. Sometimes we have to take chances.

FriendlyShadow

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Only thing is, if I'm engaging the conversation first to that person wherever location we are, I don't want to come off as desperate or sound like a creep trying to stalk that person though. I felt like with those boys, it may have been a good head start to escape from my comfort zone and maybe possibly go trick or treating with them(as friends of course with the ginger boy first), on the other hand I bet my parents wouldn't allow me because I guess I don't know what they're like and probably wanted me to go trick or treating with my nephew. *Sigh*.

I just feel like I need other people in my life besides just two friends, I kind of am going to admit that I'm sick of being in the house all the time. I wonder how I could follow up the conversation after "I like your costumes." Maybe "How are you guys today?" or "Do you live around here?" The only problem is knowing how to keep the conversation flowing since it's only people I'm meeting for the first time. I'm afraid of screwing up or having nothing left to say.

slimjim119

You have to have more confidence in yourself. Your going to have to take chances and leave your comfort zone if you want to make friends and meet new people. You can't worry about looking foolish and making mistakes. Let the conversation flow naturally. Just remember the people your talking to may be nervous to. They are no better than you are.

THeCARS1979

Well, last Halloween when my parents were driving over to my sister's house, I noticed two boys walking down over the hill. I only saw the back of their heads. One kid had ginger hair, I think he wore a red coat or something, and the other kid walking beside him was black. The ginger boy turned his head because I think he noticed my parents were pulling into her driveway. Anyways, not so sure if he caught me looking at him but I quickly turned my head away. He looked kind of like my little nephew(same ginger hair, pale skin) and I don't mean to sound like I'm attracted to my nephew, but I think I've come to realize so far that I've been drawn to people who resemble him, but older. I felt like it could've been my chance to actually meet someone who appeared to be my age and get to know him, but only problem is, how would I go about talking to a random person on a street. Especially if it's like Halloween, what could I have said to this boy without putting myself in an awkward position.

I know my parents without a doubt would say it's not a good idea. I think they may be protecting me from getting hurt or maybe they believe in the "No talking to strangers on the street" rule. But these were kids though, not adults. I'm not even sure though if they were those kids that didn't want to be bothered or if I sound like some kind of idiot not knowing what to say to the ginger boy. Are asking questions a good conversation starter? Like "Hey, do you guys know what time it is?" or "I like your costumes." I don't know, I'm just worried they may find it strange all of a sudden someone they haven't seem/met/known before is talking to them out of the blue. What are some ways I could start conversations with a person who I've never met before? Has anyone else ever felt like this as well?

Some of those things get harder when your older.............
And no those two things arent strange to ask.