Anyone taken prozac?

enchantress24

I just been recently prescribe prozac for depression and I was wondering if anyone in here has taken it or is currently taking it? did it help you or did it make matters worse. I've heard different stories.

LadyWench

I've taken it. I took it for quite a while, actually. Went all the way up to 80MG, and felt absolutely no effects from it at all. My depression, anxiety and OCD all stayed the same. Rather unfortunate, but everyone reacts to medications differently. I hope it works for you.

enchantress24

How severe is your depression if you don't mind me asking?

I suffer from major depressive disorder...to the point where i cant function. I'm constantly thinkin about dying. I literally overdose myself on sleep medication every night just so i can sleep at and not feel anythin.

Midnight_Violet

I suffer from the same and was on prozac for almost two years and felt no effect so one day i just quit taking 'em. I've been switched and switched around on meds, right now i'm on a combination of antidepressants.

the medicine keeps changing but the feelings are always the same. O__O

I'm on it now, but a small dosage and I was really f***** up before it.. I guess it helped.. but it all depends on the person... hope it goes well for u... I was afraid of starting to use it cuz of addiction... but I dunno... good luck!

wats up

hey i take it for depression and just discovered i have social anxiety disorder.20mgs a day they have helped me.

Noca

Banned
Prozac was the first anti-depressant I ever tried. I was up to 30mgs before I quit and moved onto Lexapro.

Prozac is a good SSRI/anti-depressant for first time med users. It has such a long half-life that as a result it has no withdrawals at all :D

When I was first diagnosed with depression, and it was really severe, I was put on Prozac, and had worked up to 40 mg per day before I stopped taking it. It definitely helped me at that point. I stopped on my own really, just ran out and stopped going to the doctor- but I think I started improving on my own just from there, even if just gradually, having a job helped.

But a few years later when I was thinking of going back to school (I had withdrawn because of the depression), I revisited the doctor, and they put me back on Prozac. I was only on 10mg a day, but it literally drove me nuts- my mind was racing, I was worrying about everything (which isn't like me at all), and I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I did find out shortly after I stopped it that I was pregnant- so maybe hormones or something had to do with my reaction, I'm not sure.

But I guess it's probably different for everybody- and as my case might show, different for the same person under different circumstances. Good luck, I hope it helps :)

tristania

I took prozac 'til some months ago, but left it ... and sorry my english!! i had been more than a year without speaking english =x

Last edited:

FOR REAL

Banned
im sure i typed this before somewhere.
provac (fluoxetine) is the favourite one that the docs give out
but
if its making you feel worse, like devastation, go back to your doctor
cause that stuff made me cry constantly for a few months.
seroxat is another one to be weary of.
just my opinion though.
my GP did say that he had heard of this before (kind of ironic though) an anti depressant that makes you even more suicidal

anyway, the thing is, just remember it could possibly be the meds that are making you worse
im not an expert though.
citalopram, might be one to try