Anyone regularly use DLR trains in London?

nightcrawler

This is gonna sound like a strange question, but bear with me - How are the seats arranged on a DLR train? Are they all facing each other like on the tube, facing the same direction like on most trains, or a combination of both?

I never use the tube in London cos it's a nightmare for my SA - very busy, sitting opposite a whole row of strangers, highly claustrophobic etc. I want to take the DLR train somewhere but if they're the same as the tube then I will have to find alternative transport. I've tried finding videos on Youtube but they are all (not surprisingly) exterior views of the passing scenery.

Scrobes

If you ripped off the roof of a DLR and looked down on the seats, it'd be a bit like this. :)

U = seats facing front of train ("up")
A = seats facing back of train ("down")
< = seat facing right side
> = seat facing left side
| = door

Code:
UU  UU
UU  UU
|    |
<    >
<    >
AA  AA
UU  UU
<    >
<    >
|    |
<    >
<    >

the weird circular bendy middle part of train here

<    >
<    >
|    |
<    >
<    >
AA  AA
UU  UU
<    >
<    >
|    |
AA  AA
AA  AA

So basically, if you want to use DLR and not face someone, you will want to sit right at the front of the train carriage, or right at the back. :) Definitely avoid using the middle section with the AA UUs together because you're sitting in close proximity to 4 ppl that can see you, and quite close to ppl sitting next to you. I've been using it every work day for years and years, I know them quite well. ;x

For the most part, ppl will just be minding their own business. Ppl don't really get on a train to start scrutinising other passengers (unless they're the passenger security guys or train agent person). They'll just be staring out the window, reading, txting, etc. Hope that helps. :)

Edit: During rush hour I'd happily say the tube is worse than DLR. Countless times your personal space can be compromised, but it's only during rush hour. On the DLR this is much less common, but can still happen. I've learnt my routes and found the best place to stand, so my back is to the door and in a corner near window, also for fast exit at my interchange station, etc. :)

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
I spent several good years (due to loss of driving license) working in London. It's a comfy ride for me, mostly standing. Nobody looks at anyone. It's a relaxing social ignorance. It suits me. My parents of WWII era had a bizarre custom to curtsey, kiss, hug, handshake, giggle, and make smalltalk at every minute among strangers in the street, anywhere.

Tube etiquette is always to avoid eye contact, looking away, at anything - the floor - out the window... someone's back, or most have a book or device or earplugs to keep 'em busy. Guess I've been lucky to be only in Zone 1 and a few stops from Paddington. A long journey across London'll be boring

Although every person in a carriage is unique in age, type, looks, and clothes... I love it

DLR is nice.

nightcrawler

Thanks for all of your answers guys...and for taking my question seriously - much appreciated :)

Scrobes...your answer in particular was detailed & informative - thanks.

mikebird...I know what you're saying about "tube etiquette" and not looking at people, but unfortunately I've had a few bad SA experiences on the tube, hence why I don't use them anymore. Usually I get so anxious that I start going bright red, this in itself makes (some) people look at me and then the vicious circle starts...:sad:

Anyway, looks like I'm gonna have to try and nab one of those seats at the front of the train! Luckily I'm getting on at the start of the line (Woolwich), and coming back will be off-peak so shouldn't be busy.

Cheers all :thumbup:

nightcrawler

Well I did my journey today using the DLR. Scrobes's diagram was particularly useful as I was able to look for empty seats at the front/rear of train before I even got on it! I panicked a bit when I found out I had to get the dreaded tube between Canning Town & Stratford, but luckily managed to find a fairly empty carriage and it's only 2 stops. Nearly had a nightmare coming back...when I was waiting for the tube to leave the station a load of bloody school kids got on - my carriage of course :eek:mg: - I immediately got off, walked down a few carriages and got back on again where it was empty :)

I'm glad I don't work in the city though - I couldn't do it every day.

Scrobes

Glad I was able to help, nightcrawler. :) Yes, always interesting when a group of foreign students pile on into one carriage.

uksam

I get what you mean about the tube, I personally hate it when its warm/I can't stand near the breezy window, get all sweaty and think everyone is judging you.

But actually, while people may glance, no one really cares about anyone on the tube. I don't know how severe your own SA is, but you may find it possible to almost 'wean yourself' into using the tube. I mean, most of the time its only 2-3 minutes between stops so you can get on, stand right by the door, facing the door - then you wont see if anyone glances at you - and then if you feel like you have to get off you can just get off at the next stop.

Obviously don't try at rush hour, but it's possible to use the tube without sitting close to loads of strangers - just find a quiet carriage and stand by the door, you never know :)

mikebird

Banned
Just one event on tube when I was using it regularly for months. Living in a town west of London

An Indian neighbour right next to me, who was about the friendliest ever. Plenty to talk about. Bumped into him a few times randomly over the months.

Even on a different line, different carriage, different time of day, so full of cattle. Such a one-off encounter to laugh about.

Flanscho

The subway and tram connections here in Cologne are pretty good, and outside rush hour you also have enough space. Still, I was so glad when I switched to a bicycle.
- it's cheaper
- more healthy
- faster
- more flexible
- you can bike together with friends
- you don't stand/sit in masses of sweating people in the summer
- you don't stand/sit in masses of people with a cold or other illnesses in winter and get infected

In some parts of Cologne, the bicycle paths are atrocious, but it's still soooo much better than any other way to travel inside the city.

Of course, I don't know how well that would work in london.