Anyone move out on their own???

4seasons

Yup, been living on my own for about 6 months now. I was supposed to move in with a friend but that backfired so I ended up moving in with my sister, her BF, and one of their friends.... Long story short, it didn't work out. My sister and her boyfriend broke up and their friend is now in jail haha. It was a grimey situation and I'm glad to be out of it. Right now I split a small apartment with my sister and I find it pretty chill, its just temp until one of my friends wants to move out. Just make sure you know what kind of a room mate you'll be living with, if you can afford it, get a place by your self. Its very important you know what your room mate is like for many reasons.

As far as money goes it depends on cost of living/minimum wage, make sure you look into that(heat/power, groceries, rent, cable/internet). You will probably need a job that pays above minimum.

I'm only 19 by the way and not in college yet. Hope that sheds some light for you.

BashfulDoll

4seasons said:
Yup, been living on my own for about 6 months now. I was supposed to move in with a friend but that backfired so I ended up moving in with my sister, her BF, and one of their friends.... Long story short, it didn't work out. My sister and her boyfriend broke up and their friend is now in jail haha. It was a grimey situation and I'm glad to be out of it. Right now I split a small apartment with my sister and I find it pretty chill, its just temp until one of my friends wants to move out. Just make sure you know what kind of a room mate you'll be living with, if you can afford it, get a place by your self. Its very important you know what your room mate is like for many reasons.

As far as money goes it depends on cost of living/minimum wage, make sure you look into that(heat/power, groceries, rent, cable/internet). You will probably need a job that pays above minimum.

I'm only 19 by the way and not in college yet. Hope that sheds some light for you.

yea i've already researched all of that, it's just the act of actually moving out and being on my own terrifies me. i was supposed to live with my sister too but idk about that.

4seasons

Yeah I'm hopefully moving out in the next couple months. I thought the same thing but its really not that bad at all. The hardest part for me is getting around. You adjust to it over time. What exactly terrifies you?

getbornagain

I moved out for a while and had roommates. It's expensive as hell, food costs alot and the bills add up like mad. I was broke all the time, and whenever I did have money I spent it on booze and drugs. No progress was made, however, it did make me go back to school to get a career so next time I move out I will be able to live comfortably. Good luck! 8)

BashfulDoll

getbornagain said:
I moved out for a while and had roommates. It's expensive as hell, food costs alot and the bills add up like mad. I was broke all the time, and whenever I did have money I spent it on booze and drugs. No progress was made, however, it did make me go back to school to get a career so next time I move out I will be able to live comfortably. Good luck! 8)

that makes me depressed :(

BashfulDoll

4seasons said:
Yeah I'm hopefully moving out in the next couple months. I thought the same thing but its really not that bad at all. The hardest part for me is getting around. You adjust to it over time. What exactly terrifies you?

having talk to strangers, interview for jobs and people looking at me and judging me. also finding my way around the city terrifies me.

I really want to move out by the time I'm around 18, or for sure before I am 20. One of my biggest fears is becoming like a thirty something who still lives with their parents. I'm really really sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone :(. I just don't want to see myself as one of those people who never moved on and never had a life of their own. I really don't know how I am going to do it though, it all seems so hard. I don't want end up homeless.

4seasons

BashfulDoll said:
4seasons said:

having talk to strangers, interview for jobs and people looking at me and judging me. also finding my way around the city terrifies me.
Don't be afraid of it and you'll adjust over time. These things become a part of your daily routine.... going to the bank and stuff used to bother me, but not any more. Don't think about this stuff to much, it has to be done so get it over with.

NormanBates

Yes, I moved in by myself for a while. A year to be exact. I had completed my freshman year of school, and I decided that I was too sick of school to continue the following year. So I got a labor intensive job and rented out a cheap place for a year. It was a small efficiency with 2 rooms but no doors.
It was fun for a while just hangin out there by myself all the time. I felt like I was really having my own little cave world where I could keep it dark all the time and practice frugality.

Eventually I got tired of being there alone all the time, so I opened up to the idea of getting a roommate to help with rent and to keep a livelier atmosphere. I got my friend Josh from hs, who is cool to have around. He talks a lot and brings people over and just makes a lot of noise in general.
I had already known that I was gunna get tired of him after a while tho, so I made it to where after 6 months, I would just be out of there having called it an experiment.

Well it was fun having a roommate for a while, then it got kind of tiring, especially having to share such small space with each other. In particular, my bed was right next to the bathroom, so I got to always hear every last tinkle and noseblow. It got to where I was just kinda tired of being around especially cuz my roommate was a really messy guy. And I only like to clean up after myself.

Well the lease is up now and I'm back with my mom, and also back at school. I still give him rides to places when I feel like it as an excuse to chill sometimes.

TheNewZero

I was on my own for a few months last year. I spent a total of two months with a roommate in the school dorms and then convinced my parents to let me move into an apartment on my own. It was nice for a while, although I sort of got rid all of my friends because I liked being alone so much. Anyways I spent a few weeks at my parents house at Christmas which made me realize how lonely I was, and then moved back into their house a few months later.

You should definitely go for it if you feel that's what you want to do. I was surprised at how independent I became. I sort of felt really cool that I was living by myself, and it gave me a bit of confidence.

Neph

i like mooching off my parents

1-2 years more till i find an alright internship...

ripewithdecay

I don't have the luxury of having a home owned by my parents where i can stay at for free, so at an early age i had to work and learn how to survive on my own money. Thankfully i have a pretty good work resume and have been able to land jobs recently that pay around 16 bucks an hour, which is plenty to live on your own and pay the rent/bills.
Ive been fully on my own for about 2 yrs now (without roommates that is) and i absolutely love it. It took me a while to get over having to go to the damn grocery store every weekend and the bank, but you will get accustomed to it because it's just one of those things you have to do.
Does it get lonely? sure. but it gives you the space you need.
Im a musician and i like to blast my music or play my guitar a lot and living alone is the only way to go for me since i don't have anyone bitching at me for playing too late or for too long or anything.
It's a carefree life but it comes with a bit of added responsibility for sure.

Marti2

I'm still live with family (mother, father and two brothers:p).
I want to leave, but I haven't a job and money.
And I can't find it. Salesperson, nah, waiter nah, web master nope.

But I lookin' fo' , I'll find then I leave and forget about my f@$% &^ family.

But this is the best way, to be on own :).

PS: soryy for my English :(

whiteraven

I moved out a couple of weeks after I turned 18. I moved halfway across the country to live with my fiance. While living with him I had someone to do all the things around the house that I didn't know how to do (fix stuff, car issues) but he rarely had a job and I wasn't making much over minimum wage so money was horrible.
Somehow I made it three years like that then we broke up and now I've been living on my own for over a year. After many pay increases I'm financially stable but I'm pretty much screwed whenever my car brakes down and when something needs fixing around my house I don't have the stomach to call my landlord to come fix it (although he's a nice guy and would have the issue taken care of quickly). I have no family nearby or friends to turn to for help so there are times that are pretty hard to deal with. Although now I can usually make it through a trip to the store all by myself without a panic attack. :)