Anyone have a neurological disorder?

AriAbs

Hi, I'm Ari and I've had APD for 2 years and SAD for about 10. I've had cervical dystonia or spastic torticollis for 8 years now.(I have the rotational and lateral.)http://www.spasmodictorticollis.org/index.cfm?pid=14& I went to the neurologist 2 months ago and have been referred to one that does Botox. It's not curable but treatable. Hopefully, I'll receive treatment within the next few months. I'll be more excited with I actually get the appt...the joys of the referral dept.:thinking:
This will help me so much; this makes my anxiety 10x worse. My longest job lasted 3 months.
I fail at interviews and when I do get a job, it lasts for 2 weeks. They don't understand why I'm 'weird' or when I do tell them, they discriminate. Supposidly, they can because somehow I don't meet the job requirements, but I work very hard.
I'd also like to know if you recommend any jobs once I get treatment. I absolutely fail in the food industry, unless given the job dishwasher or busser. I had asked for those jobs before, but the interviewer thought I'd be more suitable as a hostess..? Retail can be hard too I imagine. I'm not asking for an easy job but something I could socially handle. And I really don't have experience except at a spa. Any suggestions?

Remus

Staff member
I have menieres disease which affects eyesight, hearing, coordination and balance. Kinda like being very drunk without the fun bit. The last 6 years it has got increasingly worse. There's no cure, so it's a case of adjusting. No employer will touch me as I'm a health and safety risk. Does make my anxiety kick off if I have a funny turn when I'm out, only lasts 15 mins when I have a spin attack so I just find a place to sit down and hold on to the bench until it passes.

AriAbs

Okay, so the doctor is looking over the referral but needs more information from my neurologist. It looks like I might be getting an appt. early next year. This disease is rare. So when I read the stories on the website I posted, they were all like me. For some, this caused their anxiety and depression. Many people confuse it as psychological or even wry neck. Doctors, chiropractors don't even know. Maybe someday I can be a spokes person for this disease. Not even my family believes me, only my parents--finally.

Earthcircle

I have menieres disease which affects eyesight, hearing, coordination and balance. Kinda like being very drunk without the fun bit. The last 6 years it has got increasingly worse. There's no cure, so it's a case of adjusting. No employer will touch me as I'm a health and safety risk. Does make my anxiety kick off if I have a funny turn when I'm out, only lasts 15 mins when I have a spin attack so I just find a place to sit down and hold on to the bench until it passes.

I also have Meniere's disease, but I understand that it can go into remission even for very long periods of time. Mine has been in remission for a long time, and I don't normally have symptoms. My meniere's disease was once mistaken for psychosis, and I was inappropriately medicated. That was a long time ago.

AriAbs

That's wrong; employers talking like that. People that actually who want to work but can't. I hope you're on disability or something. Reminds me of an episode of True Life where people are legally blind. This one girl got fired and couldn't get a job bexcuse she was a 'liability'.

Remus

Staff member
I also have Meniere's disease, but I understand that it can go into remission even for very long periods of time.

I live in hope for that day, 6 years now and no let up, I had the peak about 3 years back (stuck in bed 24/7). Some people never go into remission, I'm hoping I'm not one of them.

Last edited:

AriAbs

I'm happy to announce that I got a doctor's appointment for next week and I'm on disability with the school and I have a counseling appointment next week for the school for them to better assist me with my needs. This also gives me priority registration. My neurologist will also be signing my DMV paperwork for my handicap parking placard. I'm very excited that I making progress finally with all the stuff.