Anyone from Yorkshire, England?

Ok, I am a scottish lass- who has recently been made redundant :-( but has decided to use this as an opportunity to relocate where I have always hoped to- to the refrshing air of Yorkshire- maybe Sheffield, Wakefield or York areas.

Needless to say in my panic about finding work, coupled with my social anxiety am feeling very out my depth right now. I have visited the areas and believe this relocation will really help me make a fresh start, however I know very little of the economic climate and am kinda just throwing caution to the wind. I am a genuine, patient and friendly, sociable girl once I find my feet and if I have a few close friends. I just find bigger social situations difficult, but of course someone who appreciates knowing what that is like may be ideal to get to know better.

So here I am guess, going out on a whim posting this- but u never know! Male or female, I just really have felt closed off and isolated here anyway. I need to move on, and to be happy, and I would love to have some like minded friends that I knew perhaps a little, before I take that leap. I guess I won't know unless I try.

Prestonator

No but I'm currently studying at a university in Newcastle and used to live in Carlisle, cumbria!!!

I love the Yorkshire accent by the way :)

Prestonator

Ok, I am a scottish lass- who has recently been made redundant :-( but has decided to use this as an opportunity to relocate where I have always hoped to- to the refrshing air of Yorkshire- maybe Sheffield, Wakefield or York areas.

Needless to say in my panic about finding work, coupled with my social anxiety am feeling very out my depth right now. I have visited the areas and believe this relocation will really help me make a fresh start, however I know very little of the economic climate and am kinda just throwing caution to the wind. I am a genuine, patient and friendly, sociable girl once I find my feet and if I have a few close friends. I just find bigger social situations difficult, but of course someone who appreciates knowing what that is like may be ideal to get to know better.

So here I am guess, going out on a whim posting this- but u never know! Male or female, I just really have felt closed off and isolated here anyway. I need to move on, and to be happy, and I would love to have some like minded friends that I knew perhaps a little, before I take that leap. I guess I won't know unless I try.

My mum is a sufferer of SA and depression, and she got told a few weeks back that she will be made redundant in a year as the office she works at is closing thanks to the government cutting the benefits. She is in a very similar position to you as well she has been in the same job for the past 20 years and is very worried about having to find a new job. The thing is though, she can't afford to not get a new job as my sister and I are at university and that needs to be funded.

If the job market wasn't so bad at the moment then it wouldn't be so bad and hard to find a job and well I guess your anxieties about it would in effect be lessoned, right? I have 2 years left at uni, and really hope the market sorts itself out by the time I get out otherwise I will also be in the same position. I, like you, find bigger social situations difficult, especially like job interviews etc so I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't have any advice for how you could find a new job, but I do understand your anxieties as I think I would be the same if I was in the same position.

It's unfortunate you have been made redundant in the present job market; its just so poor at the moment. I don't think the conservative government party are doing much to help either ::(:

Hope this helps. Oh and by the way, sorry to hear you have lost your job.

Remus

Staff member
Yorks nice but not keen on the other places, You should try Manchester yay! (And there's a big SA community)

hey, not from Yorkshire. but a fellow Scot from Edinburgh, who can sympathise with a lot of your issues.
I was made redundant a couple of years ago, my wife and I swapped roles in effect and I became a stay at home dad. I have loved it from a family point of view but to be honest my S.A. has gone thru the roof. I have always had problems but never to this extent. so my advice to you is to find work as soon as you can and the same with friends. I have ever so gradually became someone who cant enter a crowded room, would rather put my privates in a vice than attend a family wedding (serious) and I link it back to stopping being at work every day. however I do wish you all the best in your move South! you wont know unless you try!

Yes! I'm from York and it's lovely. You should definitely move there. I'm studying in Scotland at the moment though so I don't know if there's much of an SA community or much support.. But if there isn't we should start one. I'm not entirely sure what I mean by that. I don't know anything about the job market either. So basically I am completely useless to you. Sorry this is probably really obvious but did you try the UK specific forum? there might be more people on there from Yorkshire.

caringsoul

Banned
hi, savannah.. im not scottish.. but im british.. nice to meet u! :) and i can relate to ur redundant thing, sorry about what happen. im also in the same position as u. i hope we can find a better job.