Anyone from Toronto??

sweetsalwa

hey am from toronto 2

hey Gurl...yes I am from toronto...I go to university and I struggle extacly like you....you know what..........this is my first time visiting this web...and I went to the social phobia section "Canada" to check if there is someone in canada that have social anxiety like me...u wrote on May 14..........but I hope you see my message even though is may 23......What can I say I already have a problem with my self...I mean I am stressed 24 seven without no school or anything and imagine University is very hard.....so you are stressed and on top of it you have univerisy.......this is HELLLLL... 8O

bluegirl

8O finally someone from Toronto with similar stuffs.. I am Sooo lucky.. :D hope we get to know each other if U want.. :wink:

sweetsalwa

lol....am so lucky too :D...and ya sure we could know each other.....blue girl can you text message me in private so we could exchange our email addresses.....

ttys :lol:

idunnoimnotcreativ

Hey I'm from Toronto too :D! (Scarborough to be precise). I just finished first year at the University of Waterloo...what school do you go to?

sweetsalwa

hello...wussup.......I finished york university first year....and it was really hard and stressing 8O ...but I am glad is over....am taking summer courses and am doing well.....tell me how was your first year and did you had problem socializing like me....

sweetsalwa

blue girl where are u? u don't understand how happy I was when I found someone.....and when I found you.....you suddenly disappeared :cry: ...lolol...NO I AM SERIOUS..WHERE ARE U? :lol: ..lolol...is everything okay...I am thinking maybe your computer is not working or somethin...I don't know.... whatever the reason is...and we have a new guest from toronto....I am so excited :D ...I hope I hear from you guys soon......

ALANIS

CANADIAN DREAM

I'M FROM COLOMBIA (YOU KNOW SOUTH AMERICA) AND I THOUGHT, NOBODY LIVING IN CANDA COULD GET ANXIOUS. I DREAM OF VISITING CANADA SOMEDAY. I´D REALLY APPRECIATE SOMEONE TO TELL ME HOW IS YOUR COUNTRY.
SORRY IF MY ENGLISH IS KIND OF POOR
THANK YOU

maggie

Re: CANADIAN DREAM

ALANIS said:
I'M FROM COLOMBIA (YOU KNOW SOUTH AMERICA) AND I THOUGHT, NOBODY LIVING IN CANDA COULD GET ANXIOUS. I DREAM OF VISITING CANADA SOMEDAY. I´D REALLY APPRECIATE SOMEONE TO TELL ME HOW IS YOUR COUNTRY.
SORRY IF MY ENGLISH IS KIND OF POOR
THANK YOU
hi ALANIS.....i thought it was cute that you thought people living in Canada could not get anxious....nice thought :) ......but....i think there are probably people suffering from anxiety just about everywhere :wink:

idunnoimnotcreativ

sweetsalwa said:
hello...wussup.......I finished york university first year....and it was really hard and stressing 8O ...but I am glad is over....am taking summer courses and am doing well.....tell me how was your first year and did you had problem socializing like me....

I have very mixed feelings about my first year. At first I was really excited to go since I could have a fresh start with nobody knowing me, and everyone being open-minded, I felt like I had "broken out of my shell" during my first week there. But once classes got under way, things started to change. Had to do group work with some people I didnt feel comfortable with, homework was piling up, wasnt really making any good friends...I started going back to being my old self, but I would still make some effort to be outgoing. Once final exams started, I became even more introverted than before as I stayed in my room most of the time studying to bring my grades up. My anxiety got really bad during that time, and I did the best I could to avoid contact with other people, especially the other students living in my residence. Finally winter break came, and I was relieved to go home where I could be safe.

When I came back to residence after the break, things got really bad. A new resident had moved in right next to me, and this guy was the biggest asshole I ever met. I could hear this jackass through the walls calling his friends, complaining about every petty detail of his life. He hated me and the other guys in my res for no good reason and didnt try to hide that fact. My anxiety started becoming worse than it ever had been in a long time and I would only leave my room when absolutely necessary (washroom, eating, going to class). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I also ended up switching my program after 1st semester, so I had brand new classmates; all of whom knew each other and had seperated into cliques, while I was stuck on the outside not knowing anyone. Things were really tough those 4 months. Luckily I did find a few acquaintances in class, but outside of class we didnt talk much at all.

Couldnt stop myself from rambling on like that. To summarize, I really thought I would break out of my shell and end up making some good friends in first year, but things are almost worse than when I started. I really want to make my university experience enjoyable, so I'm dedicating this summer to improving my self confidence, and social skills. Started working out at the gym, thats helping me with my self confidence, but now I need to find a job so that I can practise my social skills.

How was York for you? I assume that becoming a part of the social scene at a commuter school is especially difficult.

sweetsalwa

idunnoimnotcreativ said:
sweetsalwa said:

I have very mixed feelings about my first year. At first I was really excited to go since I could have a fresh start with nobody knowing me, and everyone being open-minded, I felt like I had "broken out of my shell" during my first week there. But once classes got under way, things started to change. Had to do group work with some people I didnt feel comfortable with, homework was piling up, wasnt really making any good friends...I started going back to being my old self, but I would still make some effort to be outgoing. Once final exams started, I became even more introverted than before as I stayed in my room most of the time studying to bring my grades up. My anxiety got really bad during that time, and I did the best I could to avoid contact with other people, especially the other students living in my residence. Finally winter break came, and I was relieved to go home where I could be safe.

When I came back to residence after the break, things got really bad. A new resident had moved in right next to me, and this guy was the biggest asshole I ever met. I could hear this jackass through the walls calling his friends, complaining about every petty detail of his life. He hated me and the other guys in my res for no good reason and didnt try to hide that fact. My anxiety started becoming worse than it ever had been in a long time and I would only leave my room when absolutely necessary (washroom, eating, going to class). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I also ended up switching my program after 1st semester, so I had brand new classmates; all of whom knew each other and had seperated into cliques, while I was stuck on the outside not knowing anyone. Things were really tough those 4 months. Luckily I did find a few acquaintances in class, but outside of class we didnt talk much at all.

Couldnt stop myself from rambling on like that. To summarize, I really thought I would break out of my shell and end up making some good friends in first year, but things are almost worse than when I started. I really want to make my university experience enjoyable, so I'm dedicating this summer to improving my self confidence, and social skills. Started working out at the gym, thats helping me with my self confidence, but now I need to find a job so that I can practise my social skills.

How was York for you? I assume that becoming a part of the social scene at a commuter school is especially difficult.

Dear friend,

Wow that is really good of you that you actually started with a good intention that you will have a good time in Univeristy I wish I thought like this.

When I was starting my first year at York I was so scared if I am not going to do well because I used to get bad grades in high school because of my anxiety. I was really terrifed but then I thought I would try my best. in the first 2 week I liked York because I felt it was a party and the tests were months ahead but then after 2 weeks all my homework started to pile up and I used to get shy alot because I was thinking what am I going to tell my friends if I want to study alone....because I can't study if I am around people.... I get really frustrated and the problem is they are not any friends...well not my friends technically but friend from the same community that I know.....they are from the same country as me .....they always plan to have a study group but I always get any excuse to avoid studying in a group....

So I always ended up feeling guilty....because then I imagine them thinking "why she doesn't want to study with us? are we mean?" or "what is wrong with her" and I realized many times that they notice something about me....and to be honest I don't want them to realize my anxiety...I try my very best not to show them I am shy or scared......

and the other thing I use to have and still have a problem at home.....if sometimes I skip school my dad think am doing that cause I am lazy but that is not the reason...is because of SP...my dad always makes my anxiety worse....He is not mean but I think thats how parents are they don't understand you.....so to avoid this problem I just go to school since I don't have peace anywhere except if my mom is alone or if I am going to my aunts house....

High school was difficult for me but the differnce was I use to stick for certain friends and I don't have to change seats all the time in high school because I take the seat where I was comfortable around people....but at York I have to change all the time...so I end up sitting with ppl who I don't feel comfortable with....is not cause I hate them.....I really don't know them but I worry what am I going to say if they start talking to me and I don't want to make any friends so I don't end up getting anxiety......to summarize, I think my first year was the worst year....I feel like losing hope....I don't want to try anymore with my life....I even lost hope to reduce my problem...I feel like dropping out of school.....I think I reach to the level where I am angry all the time...I fight most of the time.....I want to go on vacation maybe that will reduce my anxiety a little so I could start good next year....but I also can't do that because I am taking summer school......so my only hope is to find a good councler this summer which am still looking for......enough for now and thats was a long story :lol:

you said you started a job or looking for one....and if you did start....how did you find it? and is the exercise helping you reduce your anxiety?

sweetsalwa

mikium said:
I'm from the Toronto area too, just finished my third year of university at York.

wow :D and I thought I was the only one with SP at York :( ....which program do you take and how was your experience at york

iamantisocial

I've been to Seneca@York.

Can't we all just meet up at York U or somethin? I remember the video arcade place there with pool tables. Is that good place to meet up?

sweetsalwa

iamantisocial said:

Can't we all just meet up at York U or somethin? I remember the video arcade place there with pool tables. Is that good place to meet up?

ya we could all meet up but am not sure where is exactly the pool tables........are you talking about the one infront of the vari hall....I will ask But do you take summer school...

iamantisocial

sweetsalwa said:
iamantisocial said:

ya we could all meet up but am not sure where is exactly the pool tables........are you talking about the one infront of the vari hall....I will ask But do you take summer school...

I really forgot the names of the buildings. Its the one where there are alot of bus stops (GO Transit, TTC, York Region Transit). The are where there is a rotonda... and there is a little makeshift mall where you can pass the time. There's a cafeteria, a bunch of stores that sell all kinds of stuff, pool tables, video arcade.... that place.

Just pm me or talk to me in MSN... or post it in here what date were gonna meet, what place, what time, and what youre gonna be wearing, etc...

Elf

Hi everyone I am near toronto, in Hamilton. I take university there just beginning my first year. If any of you want to exchange email's and chat on msn just pm me. I'd also be up for meeting if you all want after we get to know each other some.

idunnoimnotcreativ

sweetsalwa said:
idunnoimnotcreativ said:
sweetsalwa said:

Dear friend,

Wow that is really good of you that you actually started with a good intention that you will have a good time in Univeristy I wish I thought like this.

When I was starting my first year at York I was so scared if I am not going to do well because I used to get bad grades in high school because of my anxiety. I was really terrifed but then I thought I would try my best. in the first 2 week I liked York because I felt it was a party and the tests were months ahead but then after 2 weeks all my homework started to pile up and I used to get shy alot because I was thinking what am I going to tell my friends if I want to study alone....because I can't study if I am around people.... I get really frustrated and the problem is they are not any friends...well not my friends technically but friend from the same community that I know.....they are from the same country as me .....they always plan to have a study group but I always get any excuse to avoid studying in a group....

So I always ended up feeling guilty....because then I imagine them thinking "why she doesn't want to study with us? are we mean?" or "what is wrong with her" and I realized many times that they notice something about me....and to be honest I don't want them to realize my anxiety...I try my very best not to show them I am shy or scared......

and the other thing I use to have and still have a problem at home.....if sometimes I skip school my dad think am doing that cause I am lazy but that is not the reason...is because of SP...my dad always makes my anxiety worse....He is not mean but I think thats how parents are they don't understand you.....so to avoid this problem I just go to school since I don't have peace anywhere except if my mom is alone or if I am going to my aunts house....

High school was difficult for me but the differnce was I use to stick for certain friends and I don't have to change seats all the time in high school because I take the seat where I was comfortable around people....but at York I have to change all the time...so I end up sitting with ppl who I don't feel comfortable with....is not cause I hate them.....I really don't know them but I worry what am I going to say if they start talking to me and I don't want to make any friends so I don't end up getting anxiety......to summarize, I think my first year was the worst year....I feel like losing hope....I don't want to try anymore with my life....I even lost hope to reduce my problem...I feel like dropping out of school.....I think I reach to the level where I am angry all the time...I fight most of the time.....I want to go on vacation maybe that will reduce my anxiety a little so I could start good next year....but I also can't do that because I am taking summer school......so my only hope is to find a good councler this summer which am still looking for......enough for now and thats was a long story :lol:

you said you started a job or looking for one....and if you did start....how did you find it? and is the exercise helping you reduce your anxiety?

I can relate to everything you've said there. I think its hard to study too when you're around people you arent entirely comfortable with. But you just have to go with it, it'll be better for you in the end. I dont mean to say forget about school completely, but your social life and social skills are more important to your well being than what you accomplish academically. And this is coming from somone who once only cared about marks and other similarly pointless things.

And yeah, my dad thinks I'm lazy too, because I dont have a summer job and I try my best to avoid things that involve social contact. He doesnt understand that I have social anxiety, and I dont think I could ever tell him I have it. Theres only one person in my extended family whom I've told that I have social anxiety, and thats only because I knew he had it as well, so I knew he would understand. My parents are immigrants, and they would never understand anything I told them anyways.

Chinoblie

Ryerson student

Hi All,

I'm just entering 4th year at Ryerson. It would be nice to have a community of people who are a little "different" just the way that I am.