Anyone else feel like a complete idiot at therapy?

TheNewZero

Things were going so well for me. I just transferred to a new school that I love, I've been talking more in classes, and don't want to crawl under a bench and die when I'm walking around campus. Well I had to go see my school counseling center because I need a refill on my medication. I had an interview with a psychologist about my problems and immediately when I got in the room I felt horrible. I hate talking about my problems. I feel like I'm pathetic for having social anxiety, and APD on top of that. That's all that was going through my head when I was talking to her, wondering why I was waisting her time with this ridiculous stuff. And then she gave me this weird look when I told her I had APD like, 'Well, that's new'. I did that with my old therapist too, but I thought it was just because I didn't like her very much. This lady that I saw was really nice and I think I would have liked her a lot had I not had to share my problems.

StonedBob

I had this feeling also when I began my therapy. I didn't know I had SA, I just felt pretty depressed because I'v never been in a relationship. So I decided to see a psychologist, and when I had to explain why I was depressed, I felt very anxious and stupid... I was imagining what she was thinking about what my problem ("what? never had a girlfriend? that's not normal, this guy is just pathetic..."). Then, at each appointment I felt more and more confident with her. Now, I still have a bit of anxity when I'm with her, but that's OK.
I think it's normal for us to feel pathetic when we see a psychologist because we have to share some aspects of our life we are not necesseraly proud of, but keep in mind that there's nothing pathetic about having SA and APD. I guess in a few sessions, you will feel better with her.

And then she gave me this weird look when I told her I had APD like, 'Well, that's new'.
I also tend to overanalysis other people reactions and see them (their reactions ) as negative. Try not to focus on your psychologist small reactions (the way she looks at you, etc...) because you will automatically misinterpret them.

dottie

i do not feel pathetic when i talk to psychologists. they have heard it all, probably way worse than what i could dish them. plus, usually psychologists become psychologists because they have their own problems and it brings them peace to feel like they are helping others. not always but a lot of them.

that is weird that the psychologist made a face at you when you mentioned avpd. unprofessional.

TheNewZero

Will you continue to see your psychologist?
Moi? Eh I don't know. She wasn't going to be my regular psychologist so I'll probably just see how it goes with the one I get stuck with. I feel like I have such a hard time communicating, and sometimes I find myself telling them what they want to hear, instead of what I'm really feeling. I think if it gives me a lot of anxiety, I'll stop.

StonedBob

Yeah, I had the same problem at the begining, but after several sessions, I began to feel better, because she wasn't judging me, and I realized she was really trying to help me.
Try a few other sessions with her and if you still don't feel confident, try another one.

Kathryn

I used to feel anxious about telling her things......but I'm pretty sure my psychologist has heard it all...judging by the people I see come through that office every day.

Felicidad

I have never been anxious with psychologists or psychiatrists; I see them as any doctor. So if I were you, I´d give her another opportunity. If you see that she can´t help and when you go out of a session you feel worse, this is the sign to change your therapist.
Good luck!