Any math majors?

chris11

Hey, I'm majoring in math as well as psychology at university. Just curious, if you are minoring or majoring in mathematics, when you tell others that you are doing so, do they seem to think less of you?

Anubis

math - they will think more of you since "math is hard".

psychology - it depends what you do with it.

klytus

Just curious, if you are minoring or majoring in mathematics, when you tell others that you are doing so, do they seem to think less of you?
I am majoring in Mathematics and Physics, and when someone thinks less of me because of it, then that person isn't worth my time. It hasn't happened yet in university, though. Probably because when I am there, I am not interested in talking to people who don't share my interests.

However, I still remember how people in high school hated me for what I am interested in. Luckily that is a matter of the past.

Lithium said:
I hate math.
Nobody was asking whether you like or dislike Mathematics.

Last edited:

DarkSeeker

Howdy neighbor, I'm a physics major.

That's honors physics, it's not as concentrated as math and physics but there's still a lot of maths of course.

After going through my first class of quantum mechanics, I have to say that maths never stops amazing me. It's always so full of surprises. The possibilities seems limitless and yet they somewhat are finite in a way. I also love philosophizing about maths, how can maths even exists? I don't know, but I never get tired of all the weird answers I can come up with.

chris11

Physics is an amazing subject as well. I haven't taken a lot of it, since I haven't been able to fit it into my schegual. Other than basic calculus physics 1 and 2, I don't have any. Luckily for me, quantum theory is a math class at my university.

lithium

I am majoring in Mathematics and Physics, and when someone thinks less of me because of it, then that person isn't worth my time. It hasn't happened yet in university, though. Probably because when I am there, I am not interested in talking to people who don't share my interests.

However, I still remember how people in high school hated me for what I am interested in. Luckily that is a matter of the past.

Nobody was asking whether you like or dislike Mathematics.

I just felt like posting my opinion, if that bothered you then you can just screw off.
Thanks in advance.

davidburke

just to clarify what does "major in" mean? I'm not quite sure of American terms (I assume its an American term) My guess is it means your a postgraduate student right? I am an undergraduate doing physics and mathematics well astrophysics to be precise. When i say what i do i just get wtf is astrophysics and i just say its physics and astronomy and all they say is that must be difficult but mostly they just don't seem interested. I don't really give a f**k what ppl think of. i love doing maths and physics and am proud of it. I hope to go on to do my PhD in astrophysics someday

DarkSeeker

No, a minor is undergraduate too and less intensive than a major.

Undergraduate studies basically goes like this in order of increasing difficulty

Minor, major and honors

Doing a honors is worth more than doing a major, and major is worth more than a minor

Postgraduate studies would be something like a Master or a Post doctorate

Meggerz88

I am majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Statistics and people always shudder about both! I wouldn't say they think less of me; they always say "you must be really smart then". They just don't understand why someone would subject themself to that kind of punishment, haha. But it is all in perspective - I shudder thinking about doing a degree in english or the arts!

davidburke

No, a minor is undergraduate too and less intensive than a major.

Undergraduate studies basically goes like this in order of increasing difficulty

Minor, major and honors

Doing a honors is worth more than doing a major, and major is worth more than a minor

Postgraduate studies would be something like a Master or a Post doctorate

O yes i think i understand you. Here in Ireland in university we just call that level 6(you call minor) level7(major), level8(honors).
My course is a honors course then.
but then have pass or honors (difficulty) for subjects i'm still not sure which it means. lol its confusing

Last edited:

Noca

Banned
Im not majoring in math but I take a lot of math classes cause I find them easy to study for.