any HH sufferers here that are depressed and using medication for it??

wannabedry

Hi, Im someone who has struggled with depression /anxiety for most of my life and Im pretty sure most of it is related to my Hyperhidrosis. I had the ETS surgery in 2002 and since then have suffered with intense compensatory sweating . during a couple different periods of my life I had success with zoloft and paxil. they relieved my depression and anxiety immensely and didnt seem to make my sweating worse at the time. Actually they helped me cope with it. However after taking time off from the meds I ended up trying to go back on zoloft and it seemed I needed a higher dose that time and it started to really make my sweating worse, it wasnt even hot and i was sweating as if it was summer and i was exercising or something. So I gave up on the meds. Now more time has gone by and I feel I really need some meds for my anxiety but Im afraid to take something that will increase the sweating again!! can anyone comment on depression meds they have tried which wont increase sweating? has anyone tried celexa here? my dr recommended I try that. Im not keen on the benzos since they only work for an hour or 2 at a time and they cause dependency. Im seeking some type of SSri or similar. ive also tried wellbutrin and that sent my sweating into hyperdrive so thats off the list too..

0707129r

Hi, Im someone who has struggled with depression /anxiety for most of my life and Im pretty sure most of it is related to my Hyperhidrosis. I had the ETS surgery in 2002 and since then have suffered with intense compensatory sweating . during a couple different periods of my life I had success with zoloft and paxil. they relieved my depression and anxiety immensely and didnt seem to make my sweating worse at the time. Actually they helped me cope with it. However after taking time off from the meds I ended up trying to go back on zoloft and it seemed I needed a higher dose that time and it started to really make my sweating worse, it wasnt even hot and i was sweating as if it was summer and i was exercising or something. So I gave up on the meds. Now more time has gone by and I feel I really need some meds for my anxiety but Im afraid to take something that will increase the sweating again!! can anyone comment on depression meds they have tried which wont increase sweating? has anyone tried celexa here? my dr recommended I try that. Im not keen on the benzos since they only work for an hour or 2 at a time and they cause dependency. Im seeking some type of SSri or similar. ive also tried wellbutrin and that sent my sweating into hyperdrive so thats off the list too..

Go for amitryptiline, a TCA antidepressant. It's highly antichollineric and pretty good for anxiety so it should both decrease sweating and also anxiety. This maybe combined with a benzo prn and you would be sorted.

Sprawling

I took amitryptiline for sleep issues. It made me sleepy, had no effect on sleeping and surely did nothing for my HH.

0707129r

I took amitryptiline for sleep issues. It made me sleepy, had no effect on sleeping and surely did nothing for my HH.

Interesting, I am right in saying you didn't have much success with antichollerngics either? Perhaps the dose wasn't high enough, or you have a different type of HH

Solo Dolo

I am sorry my post will not help you, but i just felt that I should say that I completely understand your situation since I am in the same boat.

I have sever hyperhidrosis all over my body. As if my social anxiety and depression wasn't enough, hyperhidrosis has gotten worse over the years and made my situation that much worse. Needless to say, it is impossible for me to make friends or have a life.

I am trapped.

Sprawling

Interesting, I am right in saying you didn't have much success with antichollerngics either? Perhaps the dose wasn't high enough, or you have a different type of HH

Palmer/Planter, full body HH during the summer months. The only antichollerngics I've used was Diphenhydramine. I didn't use the Amitriptyline for the sole purpose of trying to help my HH. I'm just noting that either a high dose or low dose it did not do anything to slow down the HH sweating. My sweating stayed just as severe before and after usage.

ukchick

My daughter used this also for sleep/ pain issues..did nothing to reduce her HH,help with pain or sleeping...