anxiety about neighbours

elephant99

does anyone have any strategies for dealing with when people are mean or insult you? i am having trouble with my neighbour, who hates me and it's really not helping my social anxiety. i live in a shitty apartment with no privacy and i try to be as quiet as possible but still i hear them mocking me and making fun of me for how i look, for crying and for doing breathing exercises which i use to calm down. when i walk past the window i hear them laugh at me and they've called out bitch a few times. i don't know what to do. i feel like if i was "normal" i'd be able to deal with it but with my SA it's making me really upset. i feel completely worthless, like i don't deserve to exist. when i go out i feel constantly watched and judged and now when i come home i feel the same as well i never get relief

tabris

Ugh how horrible of them.. They're just being bullies, try not to hold onto the garbage they spout.. I don't think any sort of confrontation would fix this, even if you didn't have anxiety.
You're doing nothing wrong, don't worry!

Are you able to buy a fan that makes enough white noise to block out some sounds?
Maybe switch to a different part of the building?

elephant99

thank you. i didn't mean strategies for confrontation lol i would never be able to, i just mean to cope with mean/harassing people?
i guess a fan might work

Last edited:

Zooman

it's getting worse and i know i'm being oversensitive but i feel so on edge. i feel crazy and stupid
Have you ever thought of reporting them to anyone? What they're doing obviously isn't right, i think they can actually get in a lot of trouble for their behavior.

elephant99

Have you ever thought of reporting them to anyone? What they're doing obviously isn't right, i think they can actually get in a lot of trouble for their behavior.

I have done this, finally. They are going to be moving out. I was so sure the landlord would thing I was crazy and not a big deal, but they were really sympathetic and thought what they are doing is horrible. I'm glad I did it