Anxiety about moving

dannyboy65

Well I decided after I finish the resident care working program I may move to another location in Canada. That scares me because the part of Canada I live in is very quiet and safe. I would like to move somewhere else but I'm worried about crime rates and all of that for some reason it worries me a lot. Any tips to get over this anxiety.

dannyboy65

Focus on the awesome, exciting parts of moving. You get to explore a new place! Try new things, set up your new place! It's nerve racking, but it's all part of something that could end up being great.

Well luckily I won't be going alone and have about 3 years to prepare I just want to mentally try and get prepared early. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going but I would love too.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well luckily I won't be going alone and have about 3 years to prepare I just want to mentally try and get prepared early. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going but I would love too.

It sounds like you're on top of it, starting to think about it three years ahead of time will definitely give you enough time to think of everything. And being prepared and knowing what to expect I think would help with the anxiety. I know I feel much better about something if I do my research and am more familiar with whatever I'm doing or where I'm going. If you're worried about crime rates, look into ways to keep yourself safe. Locked doors, don't keep a lot of money on you, self-defense classes. It may not be stuff you need, but it'll give you peace of mind knowing you've prepared yourself for the worst, even if it may never come.

chev

It sounds like you're on top of it, starting to think about it three years ahead of time will definitely give you enough time to think of everything. And being prepared and knowing what to expect I think would help with the anxiety. I know I feel much better about something if I do my research and am more familiar with whatever I'm doing or where I'm going. If you're worried about crime rates, look into ways to keep yourself safe. Locked doors, don't keep a lot of money on you, self-defense classes. It may not be stuff you need, but it'll give you peace of mind knowing you've prepared yourself for the worst, even if it may never come.

I agree. Sounds like you have done a good amount of research, so you'll be pretty prepared when the time comes. If there are parts of the city that have higher crime rates, find ways to avoid those areas and take precautions like vj288 mentioned. The other thing to think is: if you would feel unsafe after moving there, then you don't have to stay. You'll be smart in deciding whether or not it is right for you.

Phoenixx

I had quite a bit of anxiety, as well as an equal amount of excitement and anticipation, when I finally moved out of my parents house to a whole new city. I, too, moved from a quiet town with no crime to a somewhat unsafe neighborhood in a loud city. I didn't have 3 years to prepare, and I moved within a year after deciding I wanted to go, since I went back to college. I didn't know the neighborhood was as sketchy as it was before I moved, as I didn't do as much research as I should've. I also didn't realize it would be near impossible to get a job there either. It's good you're trying to prepare now and get ahead of the game, but to try to keep a neutral mindset about all this. You may love it, or you may hate it. And if you hate it, chev made a great point too:

The other thing to think is: if you would feel unsafe after moving there, then you don't have to stay. You'll be smart in deciding whether or not it is right for you.

I personally ended up hating where I lived in the city, but if I could do it all over again I would. Just for the experience. I recently moved again a couple months ago to a new town, as the city definitely wasn't for me. It's much quieter here, and in a safe neighborhood where the people are friendly. Plus there are a lot more job opportunities. I'm enjoying my new place a lot more. :)