Anticholinergics

Amherst

I had to see my GP this afternoon for a routine physical, and it turns out that he also suffers from hyperhidrosis. He is in his early thirties and is a ridiculously smart fellow. We got to talking about the long-term effects of anticholingerics. He is often reluctant to prescribe those that cross the blood-brain barrier to older adults because of problems with memory loss. Here is a link to an article from Science Daily about this:
Using anticholinergics for as few as 60 days causes memory problems in older adults Clonidine and oxybutin both cross the blood-brain barrier; he tends to prescribe these largely for other problems, and high blood pressure and incontinence respectively.

Glycopyrrolate, however, does not bring with it those problems. The biggest risks for regular glyco users, or at least those that suffer from horrible dry mouth, are cavities and gum disease.

Interesting stuff, and probably familiar to most of you who have read up on these.

Sprawling

More information to make us crazy. This is not meant in a negative way. Thanks for sharing the info with us. It seems everything has some kind of nasty side effect. Memory is over rated. Try being over 50 when memory starts to go down hill.

It's all a very slippery slope.

Amherst

My GP treats his HH(which is on his hand, feet, armpits and lower back) primarily through topicals, which seem to work for him. He did complain about the 20 percent Drysol solution.

Yes, most medications and solutions will have some side effects - and they'll be different for each person, in many cases. It's a matter of weighing out the pros and cons and finding what works for you. I'm just happy that iontophoresis has largely worked for me on my hands and feet.

ukchick

My GP treats his HH(which is on his hand, feet, armpits and lower back) primarily through topicals, which seem to work for him. He did complain about the 20 percent Drysol solution.

Yes, most medications and solutions will have some side effects - and they'll be different for each person, in many cases. It's a matter of weighing out the pros and cons and finding what works for you. I'm just happy that iontophoresis has largely worked for me on my hands and feet.
I have had success with ionto for about a year but have noticed due to the recent hot weather in the UK I have been sweating badly on the top of my feet and ankles:sad