Another weekend at home, indoors all day.

endoflife

Well there goes another lonely weekend. Friday, saturday and soon to be sunday all spent at home, doing nothing but being on the computer. Anybody else in the same situation?

BlackSheep

I also spend the majority of my time on the computer most weekends. Though lately in an attempt to get away from my family I have been venturing out to do any errand I can think of. I even surprised myself recently when I summoned up the courage to go to the movie theater alone to see Transformers, only to find out that all the showings were sold out when I arrived. :(

SilentType

Banned
Yeah I feel you on this one, man. I spend weekend, just like every other day of the week, at home. I, like Thelema, get out in my yard, but that's about as far as I go these days. It's lonely, and aggravating with the family sometimes, but its something you just have to deal with and pogressively work your way out of. The truth is, you'll probably always have a little anxiety, but once you start using positive ways to redirect your negative thoughts, you're recovery will begin.

Peace

Same here. My weekend is Sunday, Monday & Wednesday, I'm actually glad I got to work on Saturday and that I got classes on the rest. But I seem to never look forward to my weekends anymore unless I got some work at home to do on those days or if I've planned to sleep all day.
I can't even pull myself to take the bus anymore so I got to get someone to drive me (I got no licence yet) to work or the store. Heck, today I just want to get some choclate powder for my milk since I love that, but I'm not even stepping out of the house.
I don't even know why we have weekends. I now spend my days either at work (work and class, both the same room) or at home, and both always online, I don't really have anything to look forward to anymore.

louieann34

endoflife said:
Well there goes another lonely weekend. Friday, saturday and soon to be sunday all spent at home, doing nothing but being on the computer. Anybody else in the same situation?

I also spend my entire weekend at home...It is not going to be a boring weekend for me because I love staying at home doing my stitches.

AdamWest

Story of my life

I really need some hobbies besides internet and tv... every weekend I say I'm going to do this and that and that. I end up on the internet again, and again, or in front of the tv for hours. I just have so little desire to get out and do anything really. It's pretty sad though, I'm 25 and this is all I've been doing for 10 years. No friends in high school, so I would just come home, close the door to my room, watch tv, play snes, and sit on the computer.

College used to take up my time, especially working full time and going at night/weekends, so I at least had an excuse for not doing anything. SA is probably the main reason I never even got a job in my field of study.

I haven't had a girlfriend in so many years, SA didn't help when I did have one. It's not good to have a relationship where that one person is the only person you talk to and do things with, I let them become my life even when I know it's not going to work out.

Sometimes I'm ok with people, not most of the time. Most of the time I'm ok with people it just feels so forced. I know I shouldn't feel A and shouldn't feel B, I just don't know if I know how to have friends or interact with people. I don't really care what people think about me anymore, but I don't really care about anything.

So as I was saying... I think the internet and tv would have reached the end of their value by now, I don't even accomplish anything on here, or talk to anyone. Just zone out...

Just needed to vent a little.. going to try and change ways. . . now

SilentType

Banned
AdamWest,

Unfortunately, SA forces us to withdraw from human interaction and fill our time with things that, like you said, allow us to zone out and not think about our anxiety. Have you ever gone to a doctor about your social anxiety? Therapy and meds seem to be what helps most of us social phobics. However, there is no magic cure and the number one thing you must do to get over your anxiety is push yourself into as much social interaction as you can. This is where I have a problem too.... I would rather sit in front of the TV or computer as well... Hopefully, one day we'll wake up with the mind set that we're not going to allow our SA to rule our lives anymore. Until then, it's just another lonely day...

Peace

Tryin

Same here actually, but I don't see as a tragedy. I didn't socialize much, but I read a book, learned how to play a song, watched some nice stuff on TV, listened to a few CDs, went jogging, did some exercise.. It was not such a bad weekend.

loserinamailbox

endoflife said:

That pretty much sums up my weekend.

oszapo

I think a lot of you actually happy with that or why else not do something?you could do something useful like someone mentioned before.Go runnin,play music..
on the net you could help animals by writing letters to organisations to stop animal cruelty and so on there is so much to do.Cant cover up with social anxiety and all that its a great excuse for bein lazy .One day will look back and realise had done nothing with your life.
I dont say go and sit with your friend in pub if cannot but could find something else to do insted what involves maybe only yourself.
But noone wants to know that as some just love complainin and bein negative all the time LIFE IS IN YOUR HANDS AND NOONE ELSES!

Fighter86

I'm alright with staying home, I keep myself occupied so I don't mind or though its only stuff like reading, watching tv or being on the net and Msn. But trust me, sometimes, having something on is worse than having nothing. On Sunday, I went to a family lunch where we had buffet. I was looking forward to it because I enjoy buffets,when I arrived however, I was ignored by my cousins. Its not the first time, they never say anything to me ever (except when we were still kids), and I've been thinking of the incident since, and what more upseting is I can't stop thinking of how people seem to treat me shabbily 8O

SilentType

Banned
I think we may have come up with a new theory of overcoming anxiety here. Just fill you life with things that you love so that you can embrace you SA and at least be happy the way that you are. Everybody is always talking about changing themselves. I find that impossible, so I'm going to spend the next 5 years of my life constructing an existence that I am truly happy with.

Once i start working in about 8 months I will start a savings account and begin buying a lot of the stuff that I will need when I move out of my parents' house. I will research the country to find an atmosphere that I love, no matter how far away it may be from where I live now. (As of now I have my sights set on Crescent City, California). Exercising and being fit is also important in keeping yourself happy.

We just need to build up our lives to the point where we're so damn happy with ourselves that socializing comes second nature due to our high spririted attitude.

What do you guys think?

DH

loserinamailbox said:
endoflife said:

That pretty much sums up my weekend.
+ Long walks, which does'nt do me anygood as I just reflect on my shit life.
And sitting in the hot tub until I go all pruney. Woooooop

Fighter86

SilentType said:
I think we may have come up with a new theory of overcoming anxiety here. Just fill you life with things that you love so that you can embrace you SA and at least be happy the way that you are.

Agreed. I feel different people have different piorities in life, and an outgoing person, though is social and have many friends, might not even consider having a packed social life the highest piorrotiy in his life. Rather, maybe to do well in school or in his carrer is his highest piority. At the same time, a person who is scoring all As in school or has a high flying carrer might lament at how small his social life is. I think how important somthing is to a person is the piorrity that is placed on that very thing. So perhaps instead of being focaused on how little social life we have, we need to shift our focus and try to find other higher piorities that we can devote our time to and in time to come reap great success in our chosen choice.

SilentType said:
I'm going to spend the next 5 years of my life constructing an existence that I am truly happy with.

Sounds like a good idea to me. 5 years might not be a very long time to some, but I think its quite sufficient to work towards something that you want, or even several things actually.

SilentType said:
Once i start working in about 8 months I will start a savings account and begin buying a lot of the stuff that I will need when I move out of my parents' house. I will research the country to find an atmosphere that I love, no matter how far away it may be from where I live now. (As of now I have my sights set on Crescent City, California). Exercising and being fit is also important in keeping yourself happy.

That's a good plan I think.

SilentType said:
We just need to build up our lives to the point where we're so damn happy with ourselves that socializing comes second nature due to our high spririted attitude.

What do you guys think?

Agreed. I have an uncle(who is in his mid 40s) who is single(by choice) and leads a fufuling life even with a small social circle. He keeps his time occupied with work and hobbies that he takes pleasure in.

rubius

My weekends are always the same. TV, internet, DVD's, and video games. I want to meet people where I live but I am so affraid to leave my home that I just end up hiding. I wish I could meet people where I live who are like me but I don't know any. My family tries to get me out of the house on weekends but it is not easy. By Sunday the depression is usually rolling in.

recluse

I feel that my weekends are wasted, and I hate going back to work on Mondays because people are going to be asking what I did on the weekend and all I can say is ''nothing much'' it makes me sound so boring because everyone else seem to be going to places like clubs. Instead I spend my weekend playing my guitar, watching dvds, online, washing my car.

IceLad

My weekends are similar, but I have to get out of the house for at least a couple of hours, whether it's shopping or something else, otherwise I go bonkers.

SYNAPSE

Fighter86 said:
SilentType said:
I'm going to spend the next 5 years of my life constructing an existence that I am truly happy with.

Sounds like a good idea to me. 5 years might not be a very long time to some, but I think its quite sufficient to work towards something that you want, or even several things actually.

Actually, I spent roughly the time between my 15 and 20 years of age at that.

I gradually took up drums, then a martial art, then guitar, reading ( more) and creative writing.
During that period I was much happier all-round and full of hopes and plans. I was also very oblivious of my shortcomings. Overall, I looked and felt well and enjoyed striving to develop a social life.

After that, I ran out of gas. Getting old and still not having a girlfriend and then, at uni, seeing that not only classmates did not care about all that I did but some were also jealous to the point of actively ostracizing me. . . that (amongst other similar things) began draining me. My recurrent depressions kept getting in the way of making progress with anything at all anymore.
I changed careers hoping it would be better and it was a bit better. . . but only a bit. By the age of 22 I broke down and was at the verge of quitting university for good; I had, by then, given up on almost everything I had started when I was 15-16 seeing it as pointless and hopeless.

I graduated late. After being unemployed for almost 2 years I began getting crappy jobs where I got mobbed. Today I still have a job that really is a joke compared to the positions held by anyone that went through the schools and universities I did and, most importantly, compared to what I believe I could do if given the chance. I still do some of the things I started doing back then, just in a more inefficient and incomplete manner - and with less enthusiasm. I don't think I'm cool anymore and most of the time I would rather not talk to or see anyone. The good side of this is that, what I've learned, I haven't really lost and that I usually have plenty of things to do with my free time if I feel like it.