Another Saturday night...

Awkward Annie

...at home. This time I should be at a dinner with my partner and a group of acquaintances. I was sick in my stomach all day picturing the scenario where I sit there listening to everyone else chat away and laugh and drink and I just sit there wishing myself invisible so I can sneek out the door and get into bed.

Anyway, hello there! I'm Annie and I was painfully shy as a kid, gradually grew out of it but is now suffering from Social Phobia. Put me in a group situation and I shut myself in and put an imaginary barrier around myself, one on one I'm fine because I can tailor my personality to the other person (mimic them). In a group I don't know who to mimic so I go into sleep mode and shut down!

I'm from Ireland, I live with my (very understanding partner) and I love the outdoors.

Pleased to meet you all!

:)

Annie!

AimeeSP

Hi Annie nice to meet you! :) that scenario you just mentioned is exactly what happened to me today with a group of friends. Sometimes i wonder if they ever notice i'm there so i might as well be invisible lol!

Hope you find SPW useful. :)

reslo

hi! welcome to the forums! its still the afternoon for me, but i definitely spent my friday night alone. (maybe your partner shouldn't tell you in advance, so you won't feel sick about it all day/week :). it's always hard being the most introverted person at a table. the weird thing is- people do sometimes notice you're there- not to add any pressure or anything. One time i was with a group of friends (maybe 6 people) (two people i knew, and the rest were people i hadn't met before) and this one guy went and sat alone at another table instead of in the booth, and we were all like why is so and so sitting over there? and they did move over to the booth, but i felt really bad- like i didn't realize that that person felt excluded- that made me feel really guilty- i had never met them before, so i didn't go out of my way to talk to them (and besides myself being excessively shy)... but at the same time, i realized i did that exact same thing once- i went and sat apart from the group i was with because no one was talking to me, and they were like why were you sitting over there? but i realize now maybe it was because i wasn't talking to them that i felt so much like an outsider.
maybe they can do a picnic in the outdoors so you feel more comfortable :)

Awkward Annie

Thanks, reslo! I might suggest a picnic but the weather here at the moment is atrocious! ;)

I know what you mean, I have left a table before because I felt I was eavesdropping on the conversation I had so little to say! I sometimes forget that people can still see me sitting there when I drift off into a world of my own and then get startled if someone asks me a question! ::p: