Animals and anxiety.

superario

I know that animals can have anxiety, depression, etc just like humans can. And I've also read that they can have even OCD as well! Now I have a chihuahua. He's 10 years old, going on 11, a little blind, very small, very fragile and very much a mama's boy. We rescued him when I was young and he's been with us for about 7ish years. He's always been 'mine'. He's my dog, you know. He gets along with everyone in the family but they got him for me (we had just moved) and he is very much attached. I will admit to spoiling him when I was growing up, lol.

Anyway the point is, he relies on me so much. And I know sometimes that animals can feel what their human is feeling and feel the same. When humans are anxious and stressed, dogs tend to get that way too. I don't know if it's me, or because where he came from (which is a mystery to me, but I'm assuming he wasn't treated as well as he should have been) or just because he's a silly goose but he's a very timid dog. Very sensitive, very afraid of everything. And he's been the one that I went to to make me feel better when nobody else could. Over the years I have noticed that he does strange things. Everyone in the family notices. ::p:

I'm pretty sure (like 99.9%) sure this dog has OCD. I mean, the things he does, these habits he has to do before he can do something else, I don't know. He's very...quirky. He's always been strange. I'm pretty sure he has OCD.

Does anyone else have any pets with something like this? I think it's interesting that me and him both have it. x)

I often notice how similar my dog is to me. We've only had him a few months, but since a few weeks ago when he had a traumatic experience, and even before then to some extent, he hasn't socialized with other dogs much, but loves human. I don't socialize with humans, but I love dogs.

Just something I noticed.

Phoenixx

Never heard of dogs getting OCD. That's really interesting!

I am quite sure my cat has social anxiety. I'm the only one that can walk around him and do stuff, or even sit and watch him while he's eating without him running off all nervous. If we have company, he won't come anywhere near the house until they've gone. If he's in the house and someone new arrives, he'll get all bug-eyed and run like mad to try and get out. If he can't get out, he'll just yowl because he's so scared. He's very claustrophobic too. He's just the most anxious cat I've ever had.

As for my dog, she's really timid, but wouldn't say she has a social anxiety. She doesn't like large crowds, but if someone stops by, she'll greet them in the driveway and guide them into the house like a little chauffeur. She still acts like a puppy too, but that "true self" only comes out around us. She tends to contain herself if new people are here.

superario

When we moved to our new house our dog had issues being left on his own. I think it stemmed from the loss of our cat. This was the first time, and in a new environment too, in his life that he was left on his own. Even six years after all of this, he still knew her name. He would tear the carpet up by the door, actually breaking the door. he would get into such a state that he would just collapse when we got home. It was tough to get him right, our vet suggested that we put him down. Thankfully all the work we put in worked.

I'm sorry to hear about that. The suggestion of putting your pets asleep is never an easy one to take. I'm very glad to hear that your efforts worked, though. It's really good to hear.

I find that birds are very sensitive to loneliness. When one dies, and the other is left alone, in my experience, that second bird tends to die not that long after. ::(:

hippiechild

Pigeons are supposed to be really good at learning superstitious circumstances and repetitive, irrational rituals...

give them randomness and they'll find the pattern that MUST be at the crux of it all...,...,
-=-==--===
--==---====
---===----====-----=====