an overly active mind

sorrow1

Is there such a thing as ADHD of the brain? This is something I have been thinking about recently. I have a very active mind, I am a constant daydreamer always thinking about stuff, I find it hard to switch off my mind even when there's something I need to concentrate on. I find I can concentrate on some things but only if it holds an interest to me, This is why I can be content in my own company and often find it preferable to being with someone that I am not interested in listening to. My own thoughts in certain situations can be a comfort like when I am at work and I am by myself doing a mind numbingly dull task.
But this does have its draw backs when its uncontrollable and I am around my bosses and other colleagues.
Does anyone else come across as forgetful or dumb to others? I am actually not dumb (well I like to think I am not), I can sit down and logically work out a problem and I am really good at maths, did it at A-level and university but my colleagues in my current job all seem to think I am stupid. I have no need or reason to demonstrate my knowledge of maths and physics to them!
I regularly loose track of conversations at work and I may now and again do something silly like peel an orange and throw the orange in the bin and keep the peel (has happened before). This only happens because my mind has wandered and I am not thinking about what I am doing anymore.
I would compare what I have to when you see someone who has experienced a great loss in their life or just had a traumatic experience. Normally they would be alert and "with it" but now they just seem closed into themselves and distracted (and this would be natural in bad circumstances) they may do some things without thinking and everyone goes "oh they are obviously distracted because of what's happened".
But for me this is all the time! I am always distracted so I don't always listen fully to a conversation and I often act without thinking because tbh I am thinking of something else. To an observer or employer I come across as dumb and forgetful which I suppose in some ways I am but this is due to the fact that I cannot switch off my brain!

slimjim119

My mind is overly active at times. I get racing and intrusive thoughts from my OCD. Especially when I have things I have to get done. I'll make mental lists in my head and continually go over it.

You should get diagnosed by a professional if you haven't already. There is help available out there. It's difficult to determine what you might be suffering from by reading posts in a forum.

Sacrament

Everyone's mind is very active. It's a matter of how well you filter productive thoughts from non-productive, and how busy you keep yourself so as to focus on your thoughts on the actions at hand.