Am I becoming a victim?

HeadFace

I don't know if it might just be me. But it seems like I keep getting more and more disrespect, even though I'm leaving everyone alone and have been.
For example:
During freshman year in artclass, this other kid scribbled all over this cartoon doodle I made. I said I didnt care because I already copied it over to something else. But at the time I was scared, because a lot of the time during that class, the kid would nudge me all the time and bug me after school. What was worse is that this was the same kid I used to rideshare with.
In the beginning of last year, I tried sitting with some old friends when this other guy from middle school was there. He kept bumping me, so I nudged him back. Very loosely I commented that he should just stop trying to push me away. He then says that I'm an ugly loser and that no one likes me.
He's immature, and I've known him since middle school. But at the time it did get to me.

And then last week... I was out walking to the library, and some teens driving shout out and make fun of my appearance.
Then, last friday in class someone shoots a rubber band at me (with their fingers... It doesnt hurt but it gives you a little shock). And all I could do was turn around and ask why the **** they'd do something like that, then turn back around. Someone from the table chuckled but I felt so week, and like a loser. I mean not because of them actually shooting stuff at me. But because I was afraid it could continue on and I'd eventually become a victim of bullying.
I mean... I dont know if I'm being overly sensitive. And I know I might be, because this doesn't seem nearly as bad as some other stories I've been reading up, on here. I guess seeing this board made me want to vent about it.

ILovePocky

A lot of similar stuff like that has happened to me. There are a lot of jerks out there =/
I don't think it's you, I bet those people would do it even to someone else, but you happened to be there. But ignoring it doesn't usually help. The kids that used to pick on me would see it as a challenge if I didn't respond and they'd keep getting worse trying to get something out of me.
I wish I had some advice but all I can say is I hope they leave you alone.

HeadFace

A lot of similar stuff like that has happened to me. There are a lot of jerks out there =/
I don't think it's you, I bet those people would do it even to someone else, but you happened to be there. But ignoring it doesn't usually help. The kids that used to pick on me would see it as a challenge if I didn't respond and they'd keep getting worse trying to get something out of me.
I wish I had some advice but all I can say is I hope they leave you alone.
Well thanks for the support.. I hope they do too. Ignoring it doesnt help, I know. But I'm not usually bullied regularly or anything. I havent really seen myself as a victim. So hopefully it wont... Plus I graduate this year.

Rose_Red

I've always been a victim, I get everything.

If someone insults you, agree with them, put it aside or just say thanks. Just to get them off your back. But don't make jokes at your own expense.

You need to face them at some point, not aggressively either.. you don't want to make it worse than it already is.
Tell them you don't like it, they normally don't like confrontation.
But never sink down to their level if you do this, also if you confront them once don't do it again, simply ignore them. They already know your thoughts, and you have to make them accept that.
If you get a remark from someone in the distance, like someone shouting from a car, all you can really do is ignore it.

Everyone gets insulted, it's a way for jerks and insecure people to make themselves look better and feel better about themselves.
Also to look cool to their peers.

Try to avoiding them, but don't show them that you are avoiding them. They will usually read this as fear and they will bully you more as a result.

I've been a victim my whole life, but then I thought, it's because I'm easy.
I look weak, they know it upsets me and they know I will act out on it and they will get a reaction from me.
Look confident and dignified, all the time, even if your no way near it.

Bullies want reactions, and they will target those who look weaker and smaller than them.
Don't give them that idea of you and do not give a reaction.
Sometimes giving no reaction can appear to be a big reaction.
If someone throws something at you, just say 'oi, not cool' in a casual, calm tone.
Some will do whatever it takes until they get the reaction, then eventually get bored and others get bored of it rather quickly.

I'm still trying to overcome this as well, so I don't know if my advice will help you.
It was helped me through.
You don't have to become a victim, the only one who can make you become a victim is yourself.
If you don't want to be the victim, then stand your ground.
I know if you have SA, it's normally quite hard - I know. But it's worth it.

Feathers

Well, this kind of behavior is quite annoying, isn't it??

Maybe they are just so damn bored that they don't know what else to do...?
March and April can be stressful months, so some can 'vent' their frustrations this way. Not cool, I know.. Teachers complain about more disrespect from kids today too, and some schools can be 'worse' than others... I don't think it's 'just you' - you could see if other kids in the class get stuff like that too, and if the people doing it seem to be in a group or what? Or just unrelated...?

Thing is, if that's you on the avatar, you look nice, and maybe they're just jealous too?? (of your girl successes etc too, or maybe some could be friends with that girl or have a crush on her - if I remember you right from another thread?)

During freshman year in artclass, this other kid scribbled all over this cartoon doodle I made.
hmm, some can get bored or jealous, yup. or it was a traumatic topic for them? :D
if you'd rideshare with him, maybe he thought he could be more 'comfortable' with you - some kids 'annoy' each other out of 'love' - you could maybe say something like, 'Do you have a crush on me or what?' dunno.. not sure how it would work in a school today tho..
(a friend used to scribble in my maths notebook when she was bored, I was kinda annoyed but hey) Some kids watch too many movies too..

In the beginning of last year, I tried sitting with some old friends when this other guy from middle school was there. He kept bumping me, so I nudged him back. Very loosely I commented that he should just stop trying to push me away. He then says that I'm an ugly loser and that no one likes me.
He's immature, and I've known him since middle school. But at the time it did get to me.
yup, some people can get very bored, or he was trying to tell you something? (or ask for help with math/test...?)
saying nasty things to ppl can be when they don't know anything else to say and get frustrated.. why would he bump such an 'ugly loser' hey? 'immature' is the word, yup

And then last week... I was out walking to the library, and some teens driving shout out and make fun of my appearance.
Do you have an unusual hairdo for your school? Any recent changes in appearance?
Sometimes people can comment and all it is is they have different style than you and don't understand it..

Then, last friday in class someone shoots a rubber band at me (with their fingers... It doesnt hurt but it gives you a little shock). And all I could do was turn around and ask why the **** they'd do something like that, then turn back around. Someone from the table chuckled but I felt so week, and like a loser. I mean not because of them actually shooting stuff at me. But because I was afraid it could continue on and I'd eventually become a victim of bullying.
oi rubber bands can suck, and I think you handled it well.. (though if a teacher is present it's maybe better not to curse in class-?)

I mean... I dont know if I'm being overly sensitive. And I know I might be, because this doesn't seem nearly as bad as some other stories I've been reading up, on here. I guess seeing this board made me want to vent about it.

It's good to vent and it's good to be careful.. Ignoring it can help sometimes, yup.. sometimes saying something in an assertive way (so they see they can't mess with you) can help though..

From what you wrote it doesn't seem like you'd be 'picked on'.. Just that the kids may be bored & immature.. It can be annoying yeah, hope all goes well till the end of schoolyear!