All the aussies out there send a story into ACA

aussie135

I sent a story into ACA the other day about social anxiety disorder to try them to get a story on it. Anyone from aus please said in a story so we can get some action. You can send anonymosly.

Waybuloo

ACA is all about sensationalim and the promos for the stories seem more interesting than the stories themselves, which seem to only get a few minutes worth of screen time. I doubt they would portray a sensitive issue such as SA with respect. To be honest, i'd rather try 60 minutes, which seems a bit more credible.

LittleMissMuffet

Chihiro said:
ACA is all about sensationalim and the promos for the stories seem more interesting than the stories themselves, which seem to only get a few minutes worth of screen time. I doubt they would portray a sensitive issue such as SA with respect. To be honest, i'd rather try 60 minutes, which seems a bit more credible.

I agree.

...I mean ACA, like "Today Tonight" did a story on Cori for crying out loud!! 8O

...I get your point though: would be great if people lost ignorance about social anxiety and more mental illness in general.

Would be really great.

I see some evidence of a close minded bad outlook of people with mental or nervous disorders. One example from tv is a new ad for some chicken product ...you probably know it (I'm assuming you're from Oz!) ...but the whole attitude of it -it is some lady going on about how if you don't like chicken then "there is something VERY wrong with you..." and then it goes to a clip of two office workers standing by a water tank and her saying how you can pretend you are normal or something.

...it reeks of total ignorance and prejudice towards anyone with a psychological disorder. And that kind of attitude gets my goat -cos I bet that people who think like this (and who'd even find an ad like this funny) are either really immature or (/and) have got their own issues that they just tuck away.

-I hate such negative sort of attitudes.

Today in my new job, I visited a guy who on my roster it was said had long term mental illness. I was worried and a bit negative before entering -because he was a guy and because he had a mental illness. I was concerned for my safety.

...but when I got there and he was so friendly -he talked to me whilst I was cleaning his kitchen -and I was reasonably disarmed. I mean, I was still wary, because he was a guy and I was alone with him in his home (I am a home care worker -I clean houses of the elderly and/or disabled) but even his mental illness didn't actually make him more dangerous ...if anything he seemed a little more trustworthy; and was actually kind and likeable.

I felt sorry for him living in such a dingy appartment -where anytime a neighbour uses water, a screeching noise blasts your ears for several minutes ....and the kitchen (not to mention the toilet) was a real mess. ...He's in his 40s I'd say. A nice guy and I think of how he lives like that.
But he is a nice guy and likewise, I hope that he gets happiness in ways that maybe a lot of people wouldn't recognise.
And I liked cleaning his house for him.[/i]