airport check of medications in australia/new zealand?

shyguy210

i am going to new zealand and australia soon bringing with some propranolol and lexotanil prescribed by my doctor. he said they might ask me my pharmacist receipt and prescription at the airport as they are strict on medications. i am going with some friends and they dont know i have anxieties problems and i dont want them to know. if they ask me to show my prescription at the airport i fear that i will have to show and explain my meds in front of my friends. anyone knows if they really check these things in new zealand and australia? do i need to hide the meds?

Yes, they may, but only if they do a bag search, which they will conduct away from other people. You should have your prescriptions with you and keep the meds in the original containers. Maybe just tell friends it's for high blood pressure if they find out?

jonas89

I dont know how it's over there, but I moved to Denmark about month ago with about 6 months of medication,, they didn't check or bother me for them,, but I had prescription with me from my doctor just in case if they want to see it,,

But think if it this way,, which is worse?. telling you friends about a problem or trying to hide meds from airport staff and then making the risk of much more problems ?

"If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply. It is advisable that you carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition. "

arriving travellers

shyguy210

"If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply. It is advisable that you carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition. "

arriving travellers

thx so nothing to worry then? my only fear is my friends seeing my meds.. i don't care getting trouble with security as long as no one i know knows about my anxiety.

what's the chance of them doing a bag search? Anyone ever got controlled because of anti-depressants? i will be putting my meds in a bag(along my deodorants, other meds like paracetamol, toothbrush, cream, etc..) in my suitcase. I am bringing like 410mg of propranolol and 21pills of 1.5 lexotanil .. my pharmacist seems a bit worried that it's too much

shyguy210

Yes, they may, but only if they do a bag search, which they will conduct away from other people. You should have your prescriptions with you and keep the meds in the original containers. Maybe just tell friends it's for high blood pressure if they find out?

propranolol and lexotanil are used to treat high blood pressure? what other diseases also? (so i can tell them i have one of those diseases).. i also got prescribed flunil(prozac) .. but maybe i won't bring this one with me

shyguy210

sorry another question: if i put all my meds in my checked baggage (not bringing it with me).. there's less change they will check and ask for prescription right?