Advice on meds

I have some questions, I am sure have been talked about before, I have been given celexa, as a new medication. I have been on paxil for years, and though at higher doeses it helped, it made me a zombie when it came to emotions etc. At the lower dose I am on now, I am less of a zombie but a wreck otherwise.

I was wondering if people thought the switch is good, if it will help, and what others with depression and SAD thought of both the meds mentioned.

On thing that was nice about paxil, at higher doses was its ability to hinder my headaches, and stop me from getting as many migraines, does anyone know how well this one will do with that too.

Last edited:

Noca

Banned
Paxil is usually more sedating than Celexa, thus better IMO for SA than Celexa. Then again SSRI's are mostly the same with only a few distinguishing features about them.

Im on Celexa now, 40mgs once a day. The greattt thing about it, is no side affects! At least for me. You may have side effects the first few days, kinda like feeling stoned, so make sure you don't do a lot the first 3 days, if you work maybe take off from work and get used to the med, or start it before the weekend so you can relax and let yourself adjust. I would say the first month or so, my mind completely quieted down, which was great. Ive been on it now for 9months. There have been some symptoms that have gone away since Ive been taking it, Im able to function better. But its not a miracle pill...there are some symptoms you will still have..but maybe lessened. Also, you get used to the dosage and may have to go up on it...your body gets used to the med.
Hope this helps! good luck.

Paxil is usually more sedating than Celexa, thus better IMO for SA than Celexa. Then again SSRI's are mostly the same with only a few distinguishing features about them.

That sedating effect though is one reason I didnt like paxil, I felt like I was just letting everything happen and doing nothing, I will have to see how well it does with SA, from what I have read it is more a depression medication then SA. My depression is bad right now though.

One other question how many people are on celexa but at one time were on lexapro or vise versa. I ask because I was on lexapro at one point and it worked well, but it faded after like 5 months, those 5 months were great.

DillJenkins

One other question how many people are on celexa but at one time were on lexapro or vise versa. I ask because I was on lexapro at one point and it worked well, but it faded after like 5 months, those 5 months were great.

I have been on every SSRI, I am currently on Prozac.

I tried Lexapro and it did nothing but make me worse. I later went to a new doc and he suggested I try Celexa. I mentioned the fact that the active part of both medicines are chemically the same and he still thought I should try it.

Celexa was the magic SSRI pill for me. I have no idea why it worked and Lexapro did not. Unfortunately the feeling lasted only aboot 5 months like you said above. For the time it was working I was a new person.

Based on your comments it seems like tolerance to Lexapro/Celexa seems to be fairly common. Celexa had a very strong appetite suppressant effect and when this went away so did the good effects.

I take Prozac now and its okay. Its definitely doing something. It doesn't seem to help the anxiety as much as Celexa though.

JamieD

Prozac didn't work for me, made me a Zombie. I really don't think any of these types of drugs work.