Accepting your feelings?

Argamemnon

What exactly does it mean to accept your feelings and thoughts. How can I accept my crippling anxious feelings, when they prevent me from doing what I want to do? How can I accept my terrible anxiety when those feelings make me suffer so much, that I can't concentrate on anything and affects my daily life?

Last edited:
i dont think anyone can answer that but yourself, you might say u dont know but you will have to find away

Cal

Well to me acceptance is a part of recognising that it's a PROBLEM, rather than a part of your life. It's the same with anything else, whether it's drug, or alcohol addictions ...maybe the death of someone close, etc. It shows you know what these flaws are and what steps you have to take in order to overcome it, rather than just ignoring them. I just think the problem for a lot of people is getting out there and taking those necassary steps.

I hate to say this but I honestly believe accepting yourself as a person with problems is a way of saying... "I can't change this, it's too hard, I have to accept that this is a part of my life and just get used to it." But I guess it depends on the severity of your situation, and whether you're willing to act.

That's just my opinion though, I hope you don't find what I say too critical. I was brought up in a very strict household, so i think improving myself and my aspects is essential.

But as already stated, accepting yourself and the way you think, your attributes and other things... Well that's really important. I don't think I know how you can do that if you're having trouble though. I might suggest focusing on more positive things about yourself, you'll grow, and may even be proud of yourself for that. It just takes time.

Last edited:

Anubis

My belief is this. Anxiety is just a psychological after-effect. Anxiety is not the true inhibitor of your actions.

The only thing preventing you from performing anything is your perceived inability to perform the task. I italicize "only" facetiously, because this is actually a huge task. It requires bravery. For the most part, IMO, anxiety is just an excuse we use to cover up our perceived limitations.

My intention is not to discredit anxiety (because it's a REAL emotional experience), but really to warn against giving it too much credit.

Last edited: