a sticky situation

girliegoth_360

On the 8th of this month I and another employee have to attend a product class for work. The product class is almost 2 hours away from where I live and I am so nervous and scared about going. One reason because of my phobia of the earth falling. I cant stand to be in the car for very long and I dont like to travel very far from home either. And to add to the pressure, me and my co worker might have to car pool together and I dont want to freak out and have an anxiety attack in front of her. So I'm not really sure on what to do. I cant not just go cuz I will get a write up and I have already been written up before for not going to a different class for work. Oh and my husband agreed to drive up with me but I am still scared ****less about going. So any suggestions or advice on what I should do??? :confused:

TheSanctuarian

as hard as it may be, it's for work. so you have to go. I think you answered it yourself - "I cant not just go cuz I will get a write up and I have already been written up before"

if your husband/partner has offered to take you, then that should make it easier.

Waybuloo

So there really is no other option other than to attend. You will probably find the worst anticipatory anxiety occurs before and during the car journey. Find some engrossing read like magazines, bring a game boy, something to distract you. It's great that your bf is driving! Do some stress relief activities prior to it and something rewarding to yourself afterwards. You might like to make frequent stops along the way to get a snack or see some scenery so the journey isn't a long stretch. Good luck ! I hate doing work related activities too but I got through them no matter how bad I felt. What's the worst that could happen. Do you really think the Earth will fall? When was the last time that happened? Keep challenging your thoughts whenever they come up.

mmmm

I agree with what everybody else said. I just want to add one thing. It will sound like I'm joking but I'm dead serious. Warn your co-worker that you have some sort of rare disorder. Like a rare form of asthma or a heart condition or something. Tell her that you might have some sort of attack in the car but it is really nothing to worry about (after all, your doctor hasn't given you an aspirator, has he?) I find that I am less fearful of panic attacks when other people don't know they are a problem. And as we all know, not fearing panic attacks is the best way to avoid them.

Say you get carsick. Any explanations that involve rare disorders just require further explanation. Simplify. Explain you suffer from car sickness and it makes you very uncomfortable to travel with other people because you're very sensitive about it. That way you can go with your husband and can depend on some sort of understanding without having to go into stressful detail.

mmmm

^Yes. Better. Do that. As long as you make some excuse for why you might experience some strange symptoms.