A soul?

IAMN

I was always the person who brought down a good conversation by bringing up these topics, because I have always been conflicted.

Why I have a soul-- I gotta go with Descartes on this one and say I am because I am... because I feel, and think, and know that whatever the conditions of the external world, I am real. More than that, I would say I am and will always be. My soul is eternal-- I have always existed because there has never been a time in the past I knew of non aware; I will always be because it is impossible for me to think of a time when I am not aware. A true obliteration in both these instances is a paradox. For me to imagine/reason about non awareness, I must be aware.

Why I do not have a soul-- I go to sleep every night, and while I remember dreams here and then, there are definitely large chunks of my life that cannot be accounted for-- the few memories I have during and afterwards, I owe to the continuation of physical life, that my brain has remained intact, that my organs continue to operate. I am no more special than any organism on this planet. Would a bat think of his sonar as eternal, would a dog define himself as his sense of smell? Why then, if for whatever sociological or logistical reason awareness has evolved in my ancestors, would I feel it more special than any other form of sensory perception. A blind person is blind because his eyes are damaged or he cannot carry visual information to the brain any longer. I deaf person is deaf because of a defect of the organs in the ear. A dead person is dead because he lacks the necessary tools to keep him alive. More often then not, the simplest explanation for an event if the correct interpretation. When a person dies, there is no indication of soul or continuance-- it is just plain death.

I always love to think about new ideas so please share your thoughts :)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Descartes made his greatest mistakes when musing about the soul. He thought it was located in the pineal gland, you know. Umm...no.

He also went on to declare that animals do not have minds and therefore cannot feel pain, so naturally everyone should go around practicing vivisection! And they did. A lot of fools today still believe animals can't feel pain, in spite of a huge amount of evidence showing that they can.