9 Best Ways to Support Someone with Depression

lyricalliaisons

I agree. For me, just being there and letting me talk openly about my feelings would help me the best and that was covered. I wish I could speak to my mom about these things.

That's Nice article. Also Humor is a great method to battle it. Try to surround yourself with things and individuals that make you feel excellent or laugh. Smile daily and make-believe everything is good, Make world revolve around yourself and be happy always.

upndwn

I agree with a lot of that article but a couple of points, mainly number 1 and 2 doesn't work for me, when I'm depressed I need to be alone and if anyone tries to "help" or "comfort" me with words or gestures I'll just take that as if they are showing me pity. I don't like talking about my depression with anyone that haven't experienced depression themselves. I have yet to meet anyone, even trained psychologists and psychiatrists, that understands how it's like to be depressed. The only people I can really talk to about this are people that have experienced depression.

Diend

The more times i fall into depression,the more i think it's a chemical inbalance because looking back...i was thinking irrationally.

Just continue being a great support to him- it is refreshing to listen to that your friendship has developed in spite of depression. Continue to encourage him or her to keep his mind busy - books, TV etc - go to the park simply spend quality time together. He or she already knows that you care - Best of luck.

Argentum

Just continue being a great support to him- it is refreshing to listen to that your friendship has developed in spite of depression. Continue to encourage him or her to keep his mind busy - books, TV etc - go to the park simply spend quality time together. He or she already knows that you care - Best of luck.

I think you might be in the wrong thread. Nobody posted about their friend here.

I think that's a really nice article on depression. I remember my girlfriend went through a phase where she was really depressed. She had lost one of her best friends, and nothing really seemed to get her out of her low mood.

She tells me to this day that I really helped her by just being there for her. I listened to her and tried to make her laugh and did nice things for her. She really needed that.

I think the point on "avoid giving advice" is a really important one, and one that most people fail to follow. It's so tempting to try to give them a solution. But the truth is, they have to figure it out for themselves. People hate being told what to do. And even if you're giving pretty damn great advice, people don't want to hear it.

What people really need is someone to be there for them until they stumble onto the solution themselves.

What do you think?

Sacrament

The biggest thing is to be openly present and let the other person know you'll listen to them without judgment.