5-Hydroxy-tryptophan , a good medicine for SA?

Hey people,

A friend of my told me about this medicine, and he says :
*it affects the mood ( feeling happier )
*makes you less anxious ( because of serotine )
*Makes you feel comfortable around people more
*Makes you confident more
*Makes you relax , so less panic attacks

And he says he doesnt feel scared/judged in giant supermarkets anymore

So I REALLLLY wanna try it.

The next monday i will start.

By the way its natural, a plant, not a real medicine, i think you call that homeopathic in english? or am i wrong?

Has anyone experience with this medicine?

Please share! :)

i will also keep ya update ;)

xx

Anomaly

Hey people,

A friend of my told me about this medicine, and he says :
*it affects the mood ( feeling happier )
*makes you less anxious ( because of serotine )
*Makes you feel comfortable around people more
*Makes you confident more
*Makes you relax , so less panic attacks

And he says he doesnt feel scared/judged in giant supermarkets anymore

So I REALLLLY wanna try it.

The next monday i will start.

By the way its natural, a plant, not a real medicine, i think you call that homeopathic in english? or am i wrong?

Has anyone experience with this medicine?

Please share! :)

i will also keep ya update ;)

xx

I skimmed over several research databases just now. There doesn't seem to be much research done with people, the vast majority of the articles talk about the effects of 5-HT on rats, which may be promising but doesn't mean much until large-scale human testing is done.

Meta-analyses were the only entries dealing with the effects of 5-HT on humans with regards to depression and the like. Here is the abstract from one of them:
Objective: To review the literature regarding the effectiveness of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HT) and L-tryptophan in the treatment of unipolar depression. Methods: A systematic review of the literature from 1966 to 2000 using the search terms ‘tryptophan’, 5-hydroxytryptophan′, ‘5-HTP’, ‘5-HT’ and ‘depression’. We extracted and grouped data for meta-analysis by pooling odds ratios (OR) and relative risks where possible. Results: One hundred and eight studies were located of which only two studies, one of 5-HT and one of L-tryptophan, with a total of 64 patients met sufficient quality criteria to be included. These studies suggest 5-HT and L-tryptophan are better than placebo at alleviating depression (Peto OR = 4.1, 95% CI = 1.3-13.2). However, the small size of the studies, and the large number of inadmissible, poorly executed studies, casts doubt on the result from potential publication bias, and suggests that they are insufficiently evaluated to assess their effectiveness. Conclusions: A large body of evidence was subjected to very basic criteria for assessing reliability and validity, and was found to largely be of insufficient quality to inform clinical practice. More well-designed studies are urgently required to enable an assessment of what may be an effective class of agents. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry; Aug2002, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p488-491, 4p

Tryptophan and 5-Hydroxytryptophan for depression
That article suggests that there is no conclusive evidence as of now, and it's fairly recent.