YOUR QUALITIES AND FEATURES

Anonymous

HI, ALL OF US HAVE BEEN COMPLIMENTED AT SOME POINT IN OUR LIVES. RATHER I'D BE ONCE OR OFTEN. LETS SAY ME FOR EXEMPLE. A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A NICE SMILE, IM FAIRLY TALL, THEY SAY IM A NICE GUY, IM GOOD AT BASKETBALL. WHAT HAVE YOU ALL EVER BEEEN COMPLIMENTED ON, FROM CHILDHOOD UP TO NOW (QUALITIES AND TALENTS)?? COME ON NOW! I WANT EVEERYONE TO ANSWER!! I WANT THE NUMBER OF REPLIES TO BE THE SAME AS THE NUMBER OF TIMES THIS TOPIC'S BEEN VIEWED LOL.
THANKS FOR ANSWERING.

Remus

Staff member
I get complimented alot but I cringe when people do, I prefer giving compliments rather than recieving them

Anonymous

i have had the "your such a nice guy" one from someone who generally doesn't talk to me and seems to be negative towards me,so now i find it hard to decide whether complements are genuine or not.

Chilling_Echo

interesting topic! uplifting actually, kudos to you

i get complimented on my eyes (one feature i acutally am proud of thank god) and my tattoos (stars on back and foot, but people only see the one on my foot)

Chilling_Echo

i find it hard to decide whether complements are genuine or not.

i couldn't agree more, i feel like that alot, especially from relatives, because i feel like they're supposed to say nice stuff

Tris

People compliment me on my eyes ,my hair, my style and they also say im a good listener. : )

yoyodood

robolobster, thats a fantastic name by the way.

I've been called funny, cute, and most of all, a nice guy. I get this all the time, and it makes me think that when Im having a bad case of SA, I can always resort to being really nice to people, especially when I "dont know how to act"...and im sure we've all felt like that before.

Scottish_Player

Iam not keen on getting compliments although i do get them now and again from people i work with but i always feel as if the are feeling sorry for me or they will want something from me or me to do somthing for them but thats just me being paranoid.

JeSs42790

Scottish_Player said:
Iam not keen on getting compliments although i do get them now and again from people i work with but i always feel as if the are feeling sorry for me or they will want something from me or me to do somthing for them but thats just me being paranoid.
Quote:

"i find it hard to decide whether complements are genuine or not."

"i couldn't agree more, i feel like that alot, especially from relatives, because i feel like they're supposed to say nice stuff"

I Get complimants mostly about my hair and how i look(like "your so pretty" yea, ok :roll: " but it feels good, but i don't think people give compliments because they feel bad and i don't think you should ever be wary about the intent the person actually had, a person wouldn't just come up to you and say "Hey, your hot" if they really meant "Hey, your butt ugly" (friends are the exception, i get teased by my friends a lot, but that's all it is teasing, and i tease them back, it's just fun and i know it because they're laughing) i mean think about it, other people are afraid you'll think they wierd too(though not to the extent as we think it) so a compliment is something to like, not hate. :wink:
Jess

tommydog

forearms are probably my number one compliment i get. People, both chicks and blokes, cant believe how big they are .. and when girls touch .. they like "WAAAAAAOOOOOHH" haha :lol: yes i do have amazing forearms for some reason and im very proud of that :lol:

apparently im funny

apparently im "sweet"

lots of girls tell me im a hottie, and lots of people tell me im talented at selling and talking to people (which i am indeed, when the sp is giving me a rest ! :lol: )

i believe all these things in myself and much more, so when i get compliments i definetly take it on face value and thank the person :D

as a matter of fact i get heaps of compliments about alot of things that im rather proud of but i wont bore you all further ... yes ok i do have an ego i am aware of this :lol:

Nightshade

I used to have a real problem with receiving compliments, my self image was so poor that I thought that anyone who paid me a compliment was wrong or crazy or something, and I could be quite defensive and rude. It took me a long time to work out that this was not the right response - someone got quite angry with me once and I still had a hard time working it out.

I was really lucky and had a friend who was good at giving compliments, she would always say the positive things she was thinking about people and I got more used to it and have learned how to take compliments now. Also I have had people tell me pretty much exactly what I should say and do when I receive a compliment (since I was so crap at it I guess), and that has been really useful.

For those that are curious: things it is good to do when you get a compliment.
Say "thank you" or "I really appreciate that" or "really, oh thank you, I'm glad you liked it" or something along those lines.
Have a pre-prepared phrase like this in case you do get paid a compliment.

While it isn't compulsary, looking slightly embarrassed (or even really embarrassed or blushing scarlet) it quite ok when someoen gives you a compliment.
You don't have to pay a compliment back, that is unnecessary to my mind.

Things not to do include:
(when someone says you are pretty) tell them that they need glasses (I really did this once. :? )
Disagree with them "no actually, I'm crap".
Point out some other perceived fault in yourself "sure my hair is ok, but I have a horrible body".
Insult them.

I get compliments related to my work, that I'm really helpful, a good critical thinker, that I'm really knowledgable. I know that I am good at what I do, although my enjoyment of work has been affected by my stress at interacting with the people I work with.

I get compliments related to my singing and dancing. I know I'm good at those too.

I don't generally get compliments that I'm attractive/ sexy etc. One of my friends once said that it was "one of the mysteries of the universe" that I could be single, which was a compliment tied into "I think there is something wrong but I can't put my finger on it and you won't tell me". I seldom get compliments from men because I find it so difficult to interact with them except if we stick to only discussing work. Men giving me compliments can make me panic, or at least quite nervous (although I am a lot better than I used to be).

Although receiving compliments has been a source of anxiety to me, I feel like I need people to say nice things to me to stop my ego disappearing without trace. A few years ago when I started keeping a diary I resolved to use it not to moan, but to record positive things. One of the things that I do is that when I receive compliments I write them down in my diary.

Then when I feel low I can go back and read them again and get the benefit all over again - without the stress of having to interact with the person giving the compliment.

I highly recommend this strategy. I find it great. :D

MartinC3 - good idea for a thread.

renegade

hmmmm.... i don't seem to record the compliments people tell me, my stupid brain collects mostly bad sfuff said about me, damn.

well, most often i get '' i like your eyes'' or at school ''you're smart, i wish i was like that''

i often got ''wow, you're fast, rocket man'' cause i'm a fast runner, i got that from poeple i used to play football with and from all my colleagues in high school when i ran 100 m, did the best time, always.

or i get ''you're neat and tidy'' cause i just can't stand the mess, i am a perfectionist, or try to be

I am somehow skeptik at receving compliments, especially from relatives, i tend to think they are just words that people say to be polite and to make others fell better, or to take advantage of them. I want to belive i get sincere compliments, but i can't.

it's always a battle : subconscious mind VS rational thought, I always try to think rationally but my deepest and true belives come from the subconscious and it is very hard to dispute them.

most compliments i get from people i talk to online, persons to witch i really open up to and say what I trully feel. The last one just reached my heart and I want it so bad to be true. It was like: ''it is so rare that i get to talk to you that i should learn to treasure more the times when I do, you're a step ahead of others'' :D

That came from a girl I've talked to from over 3 weeks now, we chatted on yahoo messenger, and she wanted to meet me but I know i'll mess it all up in real life, so i just said to her i was 35 and divorced to make up an excuse. She was so dissapointed to hear that, she told me she really liked me, but what can I do? I got so atached with her and if i go and meet her i'll lose her for good, and only the thought of that rips my heart :cry:

I'm sick of living in my online virtual world, but it's the only place i can be myself.