You fight fire with fire

Steppen-Wolf

Or in this case, fear with fear. Because fear is the problem, right?, it's what limit us so much and makes us so unhappy. But what if we could use the power of fear to help us get better?

That's the approach that I've taken for solving my SA. Which is why decided a couple of years ago to study law, quite possibly one of the worst ideas for someone with SA.

I mean, why not study accounting or something IT related?, anything that doesn't involve the need for so much social savviness. Well, because that would have been the easy choice and it would have meant to keep myself inside my comfort zone forever and ever.

Instead I want to use fear to change myself, the fear of facing such a huge challenge and the fact that my livelyhood will depend on my success in such a quest. There's no trying with this, just doing it and succeeding for if I fail the only one that will suffer will be me.

So far I have improved a lot in the last couple of years, but I still have a long, long, LONG way to go.

I can't deny that many times I feel extremely insecure and isolated, having to face this challenge alone (in an emotional sense), but if everything else fails at least I want to know that for once in my life I wasn't a coward and I didn't take the easy way out.

vitalis

Or in this case, fear with fear. Because fear is the problem, right?, it's what limit us so much and makes us so unhappy. But what if we could use the power of fear to help us get better?

That's the approach that I've taken for solving my SA. Which is why decided a couple of years ago to study law, quite possibly one of the worst ideas for someone with SA.

I mean, why not study accounting or something IT related?, anything that doesn't involve the need for so much social savviness. Well, because that would have been the easy choice and it would have meant to keep myself inside my comfort zone forever and ever.

Instead I want to use fear to change myself, the fear of facing such a huge challenge and the fact that my livelyhood will depend on my success in such a quest. There's no trying with this, just doing it and succeeding for if I fail the only one that will suffer will be me.

So far I have improved a lot in the last couple of years, but I still have a long, long, LONG way to go.

I can't deny that many times I feel extremely insecure and isolated, having to face this challenge alone (in an emotional sense), but if everything else fails at least I want to know that for once in my life I wasn't a coward and I didn't take the easy way out.

Hey, I did study accountancy but not because my SA, but because I felt it was a good job, I swear... ::p:

Seriously, you were really brave here and just hope you have success with it. Actually, breaking our self-reinforcing spiral is precisely what we need, and when we dare we often find yourself living better and unexpected situations, so improving is also a matter of a self-reinforcing spiral. Nice post and good luck.

montejocarlo

that's really brave of you. although i must disagree that it's fighting fire with fire. you didn't exactly use fear to counter fear. it's more like overcoming your fear - facing and going through the thing that scares you. it's courage, more than anything.

that's a really great leap. not everyone will have the guts to do that. i wish you all the success you deserve. ;)