yay

lawyerguy

hey do you mean university of california? I went to UCLA so you can ask me if you need any advice

Ddarko

hmmm... the UC's are getting more and more competitve from what I know. Preferably, your gpa should be higher. Depending on your eventual SAT scores, yes you can get accepted. It just depends. Make sure to apply to all the schools as your chances of getting in will be increased this way. If you make a big improvement then, yes, that will be seen as positive. Make sure that you explain this change in your statement of purpose: what you did and how it worked (but don't dwell on it, just mention it).

I graduated from UC Davis, so I also know the drill somewhat. If you are not accepted at a UC, however, don't get depressed. Go to junior college for 2 years and get into one of their transfer programs to a UC. This is a much better deal than going to a 4 year state college (in my not so humble opinion of course!) because you'll have a degree from a UC afterwards, and that's all that really matters. It's also cheaper, although you might not have quite the same kind of "college experience" (living in the dorms and such your first year or two). But things should work themselves out...

Katjelique

I totally suggest the Junior College route, even if you have the grades. I spent more time in High School causing trouble than doing homework so I went to the Community College majoring in Anthro. I'm a Sustainable Agriculture major at UC Berkeley now. In my opinion when you are 18, you have no clue want you want to do, and a Junior College lets you 'shop' around a bit without the competative and rigid curriculum. That and it's cheaper, especially if you get you fees waived. UCs like transfer students, Berkeley loves them, we are held at a higher standard.

Don't fret over your grades to much, I got mostly Cs (due to my contempt of the scoring system where hmwk was worth more than tests), and when I transferred to Berkeley I only had a 3.4, I wasn't in any clubs or organizations. Learn what you what to learn, find something outside of school that interests you and study the hell out of it. I went on every Geology Field Trip in Community College, not because I was going to major in it, but because I liked it and the experiences I gained from it. The focus on grades detracts from experiencing what could be out there for you (that is meant in a completely non-paranoid way).