Wtf? Selective SP?

prince1

Ok this may sound crazy but its really bugging me because i cant get it sorted because of it. So i get panic attacks when im with certain people (around 25% of people) eithen if there in the same room im on edge and if i have to do group speaking around them i get humilliated because of blushing, sweating etc.
But when these certain people arent around im alot more confident, i can eithen withstand group speaking. The problem is i told my doctor this so he thinks i just have mild shyness but when the people are around its torture 8O :oops: i donno what else to do But what the hell is this SP? shyness?

garnet

Hi! I think it's very difficult to categorize whether you are shy or social phobic. Its almost like a scale. And, I think for me it can really vary according to the situation. I understand what you mean about feeling intimidated by some people...I think perhaps we have encountered some people in the past who have made us feel small, and something about these new people reminds us of them? As for your doctor, perhaps you should go to your local library and try to get a book on Social phobia/anxiety, and read up on it. Then make an appointment with your doctor and explain about what you have read and any concerns you have.
The best thing we can do is educate ourselves, because in doing that, we can understand why we feel like this, and how we can get past our anxieties...I'm still not there yet, but its a gradual work in progress!
Wish you lots of luck! :D