WOW!

symptomatic

I always knew I had social phobia, but reading about APD was like reading about myself (I noticed many have said this, which proves there are many of us out there). Now, where do we go from here? Has anybody had any success in overcoming this or has learned to deal with it through a professional? :roll:

pyncheone

Hi, I felt the same way when reading about APD which was just a few days ago! I was amazed that I was a classic textbook example! I had 10 years of therapy with 6 different shrinks to no avail. I was never diagnosed as having APD, only clinical depression. It was so far beyond that, but I could never get anyone to understand. The first positive step I made was in knowing that I had this disorder. All of the symptoms I thought were just side effects of depression, were really grouped up into this one illness. That in itself, knowing that I have something real that has a name is a great relief.

I am so mad that I have wasted all of these years living with APD and didn't even know what it was. I have now decided to go to war with my own mind. When I start with the paranoia and delusional thinking, I go somewhere quiet and talk myself out of feeling that way. This is just the disorder...this isn't real, etc. I was on zoloft for many years, but had gotten off of the meds when I changed jobs and lost my insurance. I am going to start taking them again soon and hopefully they can help me through this. I know I have a long way to go, but I think I am headed in the right direction.

Since this is a chemical thing in our brain, it's like any other sickness and has to be treated that way. We get an infection, we take medicine to fight it. If you have an extreme case of APD like I do, there just isn't any way around the meds. You have to have a helper to combat the symptoms so you can focus on getting better. Therapy...I could take it or leave it although it isn't a bad thing. I may end up in therapy again myself. A good starting point for you is to buy some books and read up on APD, then go from there. If you go to amazon.com, you can get some good recommendations from others. I ordered two yesterday and can't wait to get them. I think the more we understand about this illness, the more we will be able to do to get control over it. I hope I have helped a little! Stay strong!

symptomatic

Thanks for your reply pyncheone. APD can really cage you up in life. I'm goig to take your advice and do some reading. I'm also going to mention this to my Doc.

What would be a helper in the prescription field? Booze helped when I was younger...lol. But I remember a lampshade or two on my head so at times booze would work too good.

i didnt know there's such a thing as APD until just recently when i took some random personality test online...it struck me as a big surprise, cuz i only thought i was a teensy bit more introverted than others, but didnt know this is a "disorder" which is pretty fear-inspiring... i've always had trouble getting along with ppl when everyone else is enjoying the fun in his/her little cliques... i hope this site can give me some valuable advice :D

Skog

musicianfish said:
i hope this site can give me some valuable advice :D

Yes, I stumbled across the information, as well. This forum isn't that active. While I encourage you to read here, you should investigate some other places to get more information and input from other people.