Work

steviegerrard489

Anyone else think they are an easy target at work?

I work in a small team of 6 where one of the guys is our manager who oversees everyone elses work. Most of the other guys are a bit older than me and have more experience (between 5-15 years older). This means they get to work more or less on their own and manage their projects independently.

Because of the nature of my project which is much bigger than everyone elses I have to work as an assistant to our manager who's in his late 40's, about 47/48 years old...

The guy basically never does anything himself! He gets me to write everything, from his presentation slides, papers, documents, meeting notes..virtually everything. Sometimes he has to ask me how to print things on his PC!

It is good to be kept busy but when I look at what the other guys are doing they are producing a lot less! All they do is write emails and telephone people, or waste time in meetings......and they get paid a fair amount more than I do!

To make matters worse the desk I sit at is the worst desk in the entire office. It's right next to the corridoor where everyone enters the room and this means I never get a moments peace...

Also, I don't think my boss appreciates the work I do for him. I had an annual appraisal a couple of weeks ago and he said words to the effect of: "I'm not sure you've quite done enough to get the extra bonus payrise".

I could not believe he would even question whether I deserved it or not! Some nights I had to stay at work until 9pm while everyone else left at 5:30, just to make sure we met deadlines and saved his bacon! Some of the work I did was work that they normally give to senior project managers with 20 years experience earning £50k+ per year..

I just think I'm an easy target because I'm not loud and opinonated like some of the others. Every day it's stress because of all the distractions I get while trying to concentrate.

steviegerrard489

..and he makes me go to all of the meetings with him which means I have less time to do all of the other stuff he has asked me to do! So I end up having to work late to get stuff done...

All the other guys just leave at 5pm/5:30pm each day to join their wives and girlfriends.

Sound bitter?? That's coz I f***ing am!!!

sketchy24

Mhmm ya... everyone tells me it too. When I first started they were all you better start speaking up or they're gonna walk all over you. Its really not that bad. But most everyone talks to me like a little kid and feel they have to over explain so I'll understand or something.

Then theres the fact everyone thinks I'll do whatever they say and they'll ask in this fake voice like they're talking to a kid again and of course I do it usually... well. I did. But now if they say something like that I'll just reply "What am I, your bitch now?" and walk off. All said in fun and sometimes I'll still do it cause I like the person or whatever but ya. You don't realize how helpful that line is :D