Why?

Thelema

I just went through the whole...I'm too tired I'll do it tomorrow thing with my meditation. I seem to have to wrestle myself just go get 5 minutes of meditation. Then while I'm trying to meditate all I can think about is how stupid I am for having to force myself to do something good. Then I realise...god this isn't meditating! Back to my breath! Does anyone know why it is so hard for us to do something that we know is good for us? I keep asking myself this and I don't know why. It seems silly when we know that doing one thing over another will make us better but we still refuse to do it. Then we look back and beat ourselves up about what we didn't do when we had the chance :lol:

Tryin

Oh, if you don't feel like meditating, why should you do it? There are plenty other things, good things you can do. Go take a walk, read a good book, have a bath, exercise, listen to music, whatever. Be kind to yourself and do what si good for you - but don't wrestle yourself.

Tryin

Oh, I think this is quite a good strategy of learning to love and accept yourself:

First thing in the morning, and then anytime during the day ask yourself: "How do I feel right now and why?" Don't answer just "good" or "bad", but try to realize what are your true feelings. And be honest.

Then, the second question: "What do I want to do and why?" If the answer is "I want to meditate because I know it's good for me.", then go and do it. If the answer is "I want to cry, I want to suffer, or I want to do nothing at all", then it's time for the first question.

Thelema

cutefluffykitten said:
maybe we are so used to beating ourselves up that we fear doing something good ..cause we might just enjoy it.....we dont think we deserve to feel good maybe

we take enough time out to moan and feel like crap

you just motivated me to meditate and chill more

god bless you always

im going to enjoy to breath :wink:

its ok.....to feel joy :D

give peace a chance hey :wink:

I think its the same reason why we have such a hard time overcoming SA becaue we don't want to do the hard work that it takes.

I think it also has to do with people generally. We avoid hard work all the time. Its funny to think how my grandpa grew up dirt poor...I mean realllly poor...and he worked his ass off all his life and died a multi millionare. I have proof in my family that you really can become anything you want if you work for it...but still I can't do it...very silly. Or you could also think of another one of my heros Alexander Zass. He was captured In ww1 and to escape the cell he was held in he broke the hand cuffs with brute strength and then ripped the freakin bars from his cell with his bare hands (he was a strong man in the circus before he went to war). What makes these men different from me?

Enjoy your meditation :D

Tryin said:
Oh, if you don't feel like meditating, why should you do it? There are plenty other things, good things you can do. Go take a walk, read a good book, have a bath, exercise, listen to music, whatever. Be kind to yourself and do what si good for you - but don't wrestle yourself.

I do it because I have heard of people making great progress with mindfulness meditation and meditation is a good habit to adopt anyway for a lot of reasons. I do all the things you listed exept walk and all those things are good in moderation but to do those things to escape challenging myself is bad. I think of it as you need restriction before you can have freedom. The guitar player has to restrict himself to the strings and frets of the guitar to make beautiful music :)

Tryin said:
Oh, I think this is quite a good strategy of learning to love and accept yourself:

First thing in the morning, and then anytime during the day ask yourself: "How do I feel right now and why?" Don't answer just "good" or "bad", but try to realize what are your true feelings. And be honest.

Then, the second question: "What do I want to do and why?" If the answer is "I want to meditate because I know it's good for me.", then go and do it. If the answer is "I want to cry, I want to suffer, or I want to do nothing at all", then it's time for the first question.

What you want to do and what is best for you can be different things. There have been times when I've worked myself in to just wanted to lay down and die or I just ended up crying. I still have these kinds of emotions but I have learned to not let them take me over. I just kind of notice them float by like clouds. If I just gave in to what I wanted to do I'd probably be feeling like shit right now and telling myself I'm a loser

Shonen_Yo

You should realize that half the purpose of meditating is to get over your own ego which will naturally resist. At least, that's what the Zen Buddhists say.

Tryin

Thelema - right, sometimes there's a big difference between what you want and what you need. It's great that you can get rid of negative emotions, but I think that the only way of solving problems is by learning to understand why are they there. (What an awful sentence! :) )