why suffering is worth it

Lorraine Manca

"Pessimism is a sign of decay, optimism is a sign of superficiality; "tragic optimism" is the mood of the strong man who seeks intensity and extent of experience, even at the cost of woe, and is delighted to find that strife is the law of life" -Will Durant

smart guy

Lorraine Manca

darn, no bites. ok, its a crappy title for the thread! no one thinks suffering is worth it. but suffering is a problem and itd be nice to make peace with it. that quotes the closest thing i've ever heard to the truth. i wondered if it hit the mark with anyone else.

FOR REAL

Banned
the most hideous truth can be melded into the the most beautiful art.
imitations of evil can be pleasing because of art
all emotion is expression, all expression is art, all art is pleasing
the strong man doesnt look at suffering and close his eyes and turn away, he goes out into the wasteland, and explores it, and is delighted by every hideous detail, because he "seeks the intensity and extent of experience"

see that! i can be smart too :D
FOR REAL!

Lorraine Manca

I think we confuse pleasure with happiness. Most people know thats wrong, that its hedonism. But there are some things that are not shallow, but still qualify as pleasure seeking. Like friendship, family, a comfortable life, life hearted laughter. I think its a modern "mistaken belief" as the shrinks call it, that everyone is supposed to have that. And if you dont have that, then something's wrong with you, because everyone else is born with it, its natural. thats not true and i think that expectation is driving us crazy. life can be meaningful and fully human without any of those things even if there arent any rainbows or daisys or even if something ambiguous seems horribly wrong. dont listen to me. just rambling. dont take any of it serious.