Why is it so hard to go out of the house?

Ana

Why is it so hard to get out of the house when you have bad anxiety?
I'm terrified of the outside world. I feel as if my home is a safe place for me to hide away for the rest of my life -honestly I know that this isn't possible but a part of me wishes it was.
Does anyone else feel as if they are locked up in their house, living in their own little world? I really need someone to talk to with the same problem so if you have a similar story please reply or send me a private message.
Thanks.

joshueg

Hello, Ana!. I understand you perfectly!.
It happens to me too, the moment of the day when i feel calm, happy and not in danger is when i return home from work.
My world has become more and more limited and i feel anxiety almost in every situation.
It is really hard for me to leave my house in the morning to go to work.
So i understand how difficult it is for you.
See you! :wink:

4seasons

its 11:00 on a friday night and im home, as usual. Its pretty much what social anxiety is....try going out with smaller groups and work your way up to more people. That what my therapist sugested but ofcourse im not trying that, i should be.

Foxglove

Hi Ana. I know just what you mean. I sometimes have to make several starts before I can get out of the house. I'll get my coat on, find my purse and my keys, and then my stomach starts to hurt, so I think I need to go to the bathroom. Or I start to hyperventilate and feel shaky. Unfortunately, I have to go out quite often, to bring my son to school, or to pick him up from school, take him to friends' houses or pick his friends up to bring them to our house, and to take them home, of course. I am so relieved at the end of the day when I don't have to go out any more. It's only then that I can feel safe and relaxed. But when I have to go some where specific the next day, like to a doctor's appointment, I can't even relax then, and sleep really badly just anticipating having to go out again. Sorry I can't offer you any good advice. Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone with your anxiety about leaving the house.

Greetings from Foxglove

Ana

Hello, Ana!. I understand you perfectly!.
It happens to me too, the moment of the day when i feel calm, happy and not in danger is when i return home from work.
My world has become more and more limited and i feel anxiety almost in every situation.
It is really hard for me to leave my house in the morning to go to work.
So i understand how difficult it is for you.
See you!

I understand the difficualty of leaving the house. I've just stopped leaving my house because I get so sick when ever I attempt to leave my house. The sad thing is that I'm only sixteen and I feel as if I'm wasting my teenage years away because I'm so worried about the outside world.
Thanks for understanding!

its 11:00 on a friday night and im home, as usual. Its pretty much what social anxiety is....try going out with smaller groups and work your way up to more people. That what my therapist sugested but ofcourse im not trying that, i should be.

Well, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I saw a councilor (because I'm a minor) and she has given me referals. She thinks I have extreme OCD and anxiety. I tend to beleive her but I think I have socila anxiety or social phobia (are they the same thing?).
I only have a small group of friends but honestly I can't bear to be out of the house with anyone. I feel as if I'm always being judged and I have thise extreme fear of being followed, which is caused by my obsessive thought of being kidnapped/murdered.
Honestly, I just want some help from someone but I'm a minor so it's really hard to find someone qualified in youth mental health.

10:00PM, also at home on a Friday.. Don't worry your not alone!

Thanks.

Hi Ana. I know just what you mean. I sometimes have to make several starts before I can get out of the house. I'll get my coat on, find my purse and my keys, and then my stomach starts to hurt, so I think I need to go to the bathroom. Or I start to hyperventilate and feel shaky. Unfortunately, I have to go out quite often, to bring my son to school, or to pick him up from school, take him to friends' houses or pick his friends up to bring them to our house, and to take them home, of course. I am so relieved at the end of the day when I don't have to go out any more. It's only then that I can feel safe and relaxed. But when I have to go some where specific the next day, like to a doctor's appointment, I can't even relax then, and sleep really badly just anticipating having to go out again. Sorry I can't offer you any good advice. Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone with your anxiety about leaving the house.

I'm the same way. I get really anxious when I know I have an appointment or outing coming up soon. I find ways to try and get out of it unless I know I can't get out of it. I also take forever to get ready to go out becuase I put it off for a few hours, always.
Thanks for posting!